Watches: Replace Due To Broken Band? Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I currently wear a Casio BGR-300 Baby G-Shock watch, which I bought maybe 3-4 years ago. I want to ask whether you would replace a $99 watch, purchase a $30 replacement band, or try an ill-fitting, maybe non-fitting $12 replacement?

The band is falling apart and is currently being held together with my company's version of duct tape.

Reasons why I want to keep it (replace the band):

1. I paid more for this watch than my previous digital watches, by 2-3X, in the hopes that it would last for a very long time. Every single one of my past $2X-3X watches were replaced due to a broken band. The replacement for each was nearly the cost of the watch.

2. It's solar. Why buy solar-powered watch if the [censored] thing needs to be replaced due to other reasons?

3. It's a good design. I bought a "woman's" watch, because the watch face is protected by the extended bezel -- I typically smash up and scratch my watch faces due to my line of work -- and it's beefy, but compact.I thought it was rugged. I also thought it was rugged, but the band just isn't. One of the two free loops broke in less than a year. The second free loop broke last year. The band began cracking and is finally to the point of breaking now.

Reasons for replacement:

1. The face is dark and hard to read, even if light is only slightly inadequate. I have to hit the light all the time to see things. This didn't bother me initially, but has, since I use my watch for timing often.

2. The band! I feel like I'm at the point where I need to buy a quality digital with a better band, most likely metal.

That's really it; I'm pretty easy to please, actually. I have one nice Citizen Eco-Drive watch and one cheaper Skagen that looks nicer than it is, both of which I wear only when going out.

I need a rugged watch, so as I begin my research into a replacement digital watch, I'll happily accept suggestions. I'm tempted to go back to my old ways, too, and simply buy a new $30 watch every couple of years...

I also have problems making these earth shaking decisions but, I probably would take my beloved watch to Walmart and check over the large amount of replacement bands. If that fails then a jewelers is the next stop. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I also have problems making these earth shaking decisions but, I probably would take my beloved watch to Walmart and check over the large amount of replacement bands. If that fails then a jewelers is the next stop. Ed

As a fellow member of the sarcasm society, I truly appreciate your helpful post.

Originally Posted By: Trav
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-G-Shock-Wa...=item4d35b4dc08

Yea, I saw that, but it's not the right band. From what I've read, it may work, but it will not fit correctly. This is what I meant when I asked whether I should buy the $12 mis-fitting replacement.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
This band is velcro, and has lasted at least three years...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Allstrap-Voguestrap-Sport-Velcro-Watchband-Brown/17203854

You and Eddie might be right. Walmart's return policy is pretty liberal, so trying out a few bands until I find the best of the worst-fitting might be the right idea. Thanks.

Here are some pictures for reference. You can see that the band design is a little different than some watches, so I'm not sure how well a generic band will work.

You can see how dark the face is, even in the brightness of the camera flash. Most of the environments I work in are dark, so the face makes using the back light a necessity, where as previous watches I've owned, the display seemed almost to be reflective, making them perfect for low light.

The backlight (and all other) buttons are actually tough to use. I liked that in the beginning, because they were stiff, but sturdy (they still are, except for the backlight button, which has stopped working sporadically, every couple of weeks or so.)

Hello, Dim light/dark face etc......but you CAN read it. I'd enjoy popping into several wee jewelry shops to see what they had.
Use the quest to find a new tasteful/talented jeweler. Ask him what he has in the way of earrings. I feel they're good gauges of a shop's buying prowess.

Something basic like a "perfect" watchband will always be a longshot-especially at a Walmart. Visit several small, Main St. jewelry stores. Remember, any store will only have so many bands in your size; maybe none.

The shop which made my engagement ring is a 3rd generation store. They had a 16mm wide stitched band for a heavier (by classical standards-not today's) sport watch, a stash of silver beaded chains to choose from for an ornate amber lavaliere and, later, a pair of modern, Winter leaf designed laser cut gold earrings which my brother bought for his wife.

Look around. Enjoy engaging the people you meet. Kira

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
Wear to EcoDrive 24/7.
It can take the abuse.
You only live one, boy!

Thank you for your almost-comprehensible motivational post, the sexist! My Ecodrive is pretty durable, but I don't intend to replace it for decades, so I wear it only while out on the town. For work I like a digital watch, and a raised bezel for protecting the face.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Dim light/dark face etc......but you CAN read it. I'd enjoy popping into several wee jewelry shops to see what they had.
Use the quest to find a new tasteful/talented jeweler. Ask him what he has in the way of earrings. I feel they're good gauges of a shop's buying prowess.

Something basic like a "perfect" watchband will always be a longshot-especially at a Walmart. Visit several small, Main St. jewelry stores. Remember, any store will only have so many bands in your size; maybe none.

The shop which made my engagement ring is a 3rd generation store. They had a 16mm wide stitched band for a heavier (by classical standards-not today's) sport watch, a stash of silver beaded chains to choose from for an ornate amber lavaliere and, later, a pair of modern, Winter leaf designed laser cut gold earrings which my brother bought for his wife.

Look around. Enjoy engaging the people you meet. Kira

Is it worth putting in so much effort for a 4 year-old $99 watch that's already starting to show its age or do you think a band will be relatively cheap, even at a jeweler?

For $30 I can get an exact replacement, but that will, what, buy me another few years? That's fine, I guess, but I'm open to options.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
is this closer to what you need?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Watch-Band-BGR-300-Baby-G-Black-Rubber-Strap-/291070136779

or
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Replacement-Model-BG169A-1A-BG-169A-1B-BG-169A-1C/dp/B002WK4C64

Regardless, you like the watch, it still works, so get a new strap and ride with it for another 4 years. PS avoid contact with any bugspray - stuff melts plastic on contact!

Yep, the two you linked are exactly the ones I was referencing in my OP.

I don't like the watch much anymore, but it does still work. If I knew I could get another 4 years out of it I'd buy the $30 replacement strap tonight. I'm not, so an $8 Walmart special night just cut it!

My wife hates the watch and has wanted me to buy a new one since I came home with it way back when. I'd end up replacing it with something she hates equally, so her opinion is out, no matter what.

I would go with the Citizen Eco Drive. Spend $300 on it and use it for 10-15 years.

Casio: $100 for 4 years comes to $25 per year of use.
Citizen: $300 for 15 years comes to $20 per year.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a more expensive good.

How did you bang it up so badly? If that's how you wear your watches, then maybe you need to get a cheap Timex and replace every year.

I work in a construction environment. There are phases when I spend most of my time in the office, preparing for or recovering from the last evolution; there are other times when I spend the majority of my time on the deck plates, but in a relatively clean environment; and finally, there are times, in the initial phases of a project, where I spend a lot of time getting dirty, climbing and squeezing my way here and there to hook up gear.

Every so often I'll bang my watch against something and give it another nick. I've done some damage while working on cars, too. I keep it on all the time, even if I'm reaching down deep to get at something in a cramped engine bay, where it's likely I'll gain another scratch or two on the bezel. I take logs every day, and sometimes things I work on need to be timed, so, if a calibrated stop-watch isn't called out, I use my watch. The risk of damage doesn't outweigh my want/need to have a time piece on me at all times.

For the above reasons, I like a watch with a raised bezel, because it really helps protect the watch face. For my daily watch I couldn't care less how badly damaged the bezel is, so long as the face is perfect. I do, however, care about how my going-out watch looks, since it's the only piece of jewelry I wear and having a scraped up band or face would bother me.

Sounds like you need to invest in two watches -- a nice one for non-work and a rugged one for work environments. I say get a new band for the old Casio and get a nice watch for leisure time. You don't want to walk around with a busted looking watch.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Sounds like you need to invest in two watches -- a nice one for non-work and a rugged one for work environments. I say get a new band for the old Casio and get a nice watch for leisure time. You don't want to walk around with a busted looking watch.

I have two non-work watches. This Baby G-Shock is my work watch.

I'm wearing my busted looking watch right now, though, since it doesn't really bother me. I only wear my nice watch when I got out, if I remember.

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
Buy the $11 watch strap and be done with it.
Wow. This. Exists.

I find your incredulity unwarranted. When people aren't sure what to do about a Windows 7 update issue, they come here. When people want to share their pictures while on trips, they come here. When I have an issue with my watch that I don't have experience with, I come here.

Why? Because there are people from all walks of life and every manner of living, which results in a great source of information to pool from.

As much as we discuss EVERYTHING on this site, I truly am sorry for you post.

Anyway, I've been busy with work and the infant, so I haven't had a chance to go to Walmart to look at watch bands, nor anywhere else. It doesn't both me too much and the duct tape is doing just fine, so I haven't found the need urgent.

As luck would have it, today is a Woot off! The deals have been mediocre now that Amazon owns them, but every so often you'll find something decent. I found a decent solar Casio watch for $23.39, shipped. Hopefully it gives me a couple of years of good service.

Here's the link:
http://sport.woot.com/offers/casio-mens-digital-watch?ref=cnt_dly_img

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

As luck would have it, today is a Woot off! The deals have been mediocre now that Amazon owns them, but every so often you'll find something decent. I found a decent solar Casio watch for $23.39, shipped. Hopefully it gives me a couple of years of good service.

Here's the link:
http://sport.woot.com/offers/casio-mens-digital-watch?ref=cnt_dly_img

You should have bought 2 or 3 of those.

I've never had great eyesight so when I discovered these Timex Easy Readers 15 years ago I bought 2 of them and they quickly became my favorite of all the watches I've ever owned.

When they were both completely dead, after 2 or 3 battery changes I bought 2 more. I'm hard on watches as well, and like you I wear them all the time so if I can get 4 or 5 years out of one I'm thrilled.

I've also given a couple of them away as gifts over the years and now keep one on my wrist and 2 new ones in a drawer ready for action!

I've also learned over the years that things I like often become "No Longer Available"! So having a couple of spares at $30.00 each is.....well, comforting! :)

Hope your new one meets needs and expectations!

Larry

Yep , No need to spend tons of money on a watch . The cheaper ones are still very reliable and accurate. I have several watches and none cost me more than around $30. I prefer a numbered watch over a digital readout . But that`s just my preference. What I hate are all these watches out there that are as big as my kitchen clock .

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Yep , No need to spend tons of money on a watch . The cheaper ones are still very reliable and accurate. I have several watches and none cost me more than around $30. I prefer a numbered watch over a digital readout . But that`s just my preference. What I hate are all these watches out there that are as big as my kitchen clock .
No kidding. What used to be sized as a man's watch is now called a woman's watch, the the current man's watch is the size of a baby-moon hubcap. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back