Motor Oil For Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 68 Chevelle with a 427 ci that will be sitting for about
a year or so as I'm moving and can not take the car at this time.
I assume that synthetic would be the best oil to store it with
but I have seen storage motor oil advertised but has anyone had real experiences with it.

I did contact the engine builder but he is a conventional type of guy that believes
standard 20-50w cures all evils. Engine is a fresh build- 6 months old.
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Hdeo

I agree, higher tbn oil. rotella 15w40 will work. If its going to be really cold weather when you need to fire it up then rotella or delo 5w 40 would work.

Really, any fresh oil should be fine, but being obsessive about oil I'd go hdeo.

Last edited:
Honestly, if it's broken in, there are no concerns with ZDDP. If it's going to sit for a year, get whatever is cheap and readily available. I'm thinking Smitty's Semi-Syn for $9.00 per 5 quart jug, in whatever grade you are happy with. Once you take delivery of it, take it for a nice, long drive, then change the oil again with whatever you plan to run long term. If, however, you do want higher ZDDP, you can't go wrong with readily available HDEO or M1 HM.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Hdeo

I agree, higher tbn oil. rotella 15w40 will work. If its going to be really cold weather when you need to fire it up then rotella or delo 5w 40 would work.

Really, any fresh oil should be fine, but being obsessive about oil I'd go hdeo.

Agree, I might want to get something in the bores. Perhaps fogging oil or a heavy dose of a UCL.

Originally Posted By: troyb43
Amsoil Z-Rod, great oil for that purpose and many more

If being used and run Id say this would be great, but Im thinking that it is bad economy here.

IMO the OP would be best served with a cheap, conventional 20w-50 or HDEO, perhaps with some Lubeguard bio/tech additive. Run it fully hot, put it away after being fully to temp, and then don't turn it on again.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: troyb43
Amsoil Z-Rod, great oil for that purpose and many more

If being used and run Id say this would be great, but Im thinking that it is bad economy here.

IMO the OP would be best served with a cheap, conventional 20w-50 or HDEO, perhaps with some Lubeguard bio/tech additive. Run it fully hot, put it away after being fully to temp, and then don't turn it on again.

Maybe make sure those lower cost oils have sufficient corrosion inhibitors.

It's a 427 which is getting rarer and I bet the owner has a pretty penny in it.
This is one of the few times I'll recommend an Amsoil product. OP, look at post 3.
I'd also fog the engine.

I hope I can disagree without being disagreeable. At the risk of being labeled brainwashed I usually recommend to friends leaving for Florida/Canada, etc., that if the period of storage is going to exceed six months, then they should consider using an ester based oil for the metal adhesion qualities of the stuff. A Royal Purple engineer once told me the same relative to storing an RV. And those RP guys won't/don't tell you much of anything except "synerlec" so I appreciated his frankness.

I would use regular dino.. My only business is rebuilding engines but we just rebuild them stock. As for 20w50 that is debatable 15w40 maybe in the summer.

Personally, I'd go with a HDEO 15W-40.
These are Grp II oils at best and may still have significant Grp I content.
Either basestock would offer good polarity, which is what you'd want in a stored vehicle.
I agree with you in that I see little sense in spending very much on a storage oil without considering the importance of polarity.
In any event, one year of storage is not all that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back