Parts hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 86 Aspencade stripped the final drive splines 3 weeks ago. I called my indy mechanic, could not find parts anywhere. Honda does not stock many items for this bike anymore. I searched E-Bay, craig's list, and got nothing. I then searched bike junkyards across the country, still nothing. Finally called a place in Iowa I found selling other parts on the web. They had just taken a 86 wing in, and would be dismantling it in a couple weeks. Long story short, got the final drive, wheel flange, plus the driveshaft, U-joint, and boot. They arrived today, look to be in excellent shape. Work starts tomorrow!

At one time Honda bragged it could get any part for any Honda cycle ever built.They even went to the extreme to find a seat cover for a guy with a Honda Dream,and low and behold an old time dealer had one in plastic covered in dust in his "stock".I guess Honda doesn't promise that anymore.The boastful John Deere even professed they could get any part,one guy took him at their word and tried buying new cylinder heads for 1920s tractors off them...they kept telling him they were tooling up but didn't know when they would have any ready...yea,right.

The dealers have the diagrams on their website parts section. Unfortunately, the only parts available are seals, nuts and washers. The rear end large parts all say "not available". The local Honda dealer will not even work on a bike over 15 years old!

Cool.

Keep us posted. Pics would be great too.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back