Is there too many viscosities to choose from ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Which viscosities would you like to see discontinued ?

0W20 and 5W20....

I will sell 0W oils only to the people who will be living in a polar circle
smile.gif

I actually believe that the 10w30 has its place due to the fact it has such a good NOACK rating in many instances. Also if one looks at the pour points of say Rotella T5 and Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum, one would see just how well these oils are at fairly cold temps. In many places across the US these 10w30s would be just fine due to that.
The CCS for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w30 is 4100 at -25°C. Rotella T5 10w30 is 6341 at -25°C. So in many areas across the US these two oils would perform very well in all seasons. Now up in the northern plains, northeast US, and intermountain west it would be wise to use a 5w or 0w obviously
smile.gif

Last edited:
Merkava_4 is attending college and is asking us his questions, so we answer them in APA format, and he gets the grade of ZEROw to 20.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
10w30, and 10w40 should be discontinued as well as 20w50.

10w30 is NOT going to be discontinued for the Southwest needs it.

20w50 is the most likely to become the dodo bird.

10w40 are for trucks and motorcycles.

What !!!!???!!!

Old Oz cars live off nothing but 20w50.
10w40 is the go to grade for many motorcycles, and 10w30 has low VIIs.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I could live off nothing but 0w40 and 10w60, full synthetic please. If you allowed a third, I would have 5w30 as my "light"'oil. This could even be a semi-syn (I'm generous like that) as long as it was A3/B4.

I think things are fine the way they are....I like CHOICE.
For those who get 'confused' they can always go by what their owners manual calls for.

0w30, 0w40 etc...are great weights but require synthetic basestocks (expensive). Some of us prefer using cheaper 'dino' especially in older cars. I would rather use 10w40 than 0w40 or 5w40 in a motorcycle just as I prefer 10w30 over 5w30 in OPE...

Originally Posted By: CT8
10W-30 and 20W-50 are great viscosities.. You guys are brainwashed by the CAFE standards and the propaganda that is posted by people who think they know.

Agreed!

Either follow your owners manual, or use what you personally prefer. Done deal.

No, they really shouldn't. They have uses in power equipment and motorcycles and older cars....

Why hasn't CARB cracked down on this? I would think three viscosities would cover 99% of vehicles out there.

If they can tell you NOT to use 100LL, then why can't they regulate oils the same? There are too many choices, how will the consumer know what oils provide max efficiency? Write your Congressman!

Save the otter colonies!!! :p

Last edited:
I agree with the poster who said that the oil companies will only make what they can sell, and 10W-30 sells, even though there are virtually no cars made in the last 20 years that spec it.

The problem with too much choice is that (most) stores don't have the room to stock every choice, so THEY make the decision and most of the people making these decisions have no clue what they are doing so I see tons of 20w-50 in my Walmart all the time, while PP 5W-30 is constantly out of stock.

I have had really good luck with 0W-40 in all of my vehicles. Starts fast in very cold weather, and significantly reduced oil consumption. A well made product.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I agree with the poster who said that the oil companies will only make what they can sell, and 10W-30 sells, even though there are virtually no cars made in the last 20 years that spec it.

The problem with too much choice is that (most) stores don't have the room to stock every choice, so THEY make the decision and most of the people making these decisions have no clue what they are doing so I see tons of 20w-50 in my Walmart all the time, while PP 5W-30 is constantly out of stock.
What about the 15 different lines each manufacturer has? Dino, semisyn, syn, HM, EP, Defy, SOPUS with QS+Pennzoil and so on. It certainly isn't grades clogging up the shelves.

Is Are there too many viscosities to choose from ?

No.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

"Virtually no cars.....without counting every I4 Camry until at least 2000, apparently. No more than a couple of million.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
It would be less confusing if members stopped to think before posting.

C'mon man, this is good conversation material.
grin2.gif

57323446.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back