Can modern trucks with an electric 4WD switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most can engage 4wd at any speed, and 4low requires stopping. Typically in the snow you just leave it in 4 auto and it kind of figures it out pretty good.

Having said that I still don't think its a good idea to engage 4wd at 70 but IMHO if you need 4wd at 70 your going to fast for the conditions anyway.

Last edited:
Under 60 mph you can shift on the fly if the hubs are automatic. All my 4x4 trucks in the past have been lever action and all can be shifted into 4hi as long as speeds don't exceed 60mph m
Only 4 low needs to be stopped.
I'm not sure if manual hubs are different. My 2 99 silverados were shift on the fly and my 04 ram was shift on the fly.
To be honest I never used 4lo. Unless pulling a house I saw no need.

If it has automatic hubs, or they are engaged (or if you have always engaged), it can be shift on the fly. It is just synchronizing the front to the back; the internals of the trasfer case, driveshaft, diff are already spinning.

The real issue is when you are going 45 MPH or whatever speed and the front driveline is not spinning. That is a lot of work ... which tends to destroy things.

Synchro rings for the 4hi. Just don't do anything stupid like engaging it during wheel spin. I just pull the lever while I'm correcting a spin out as my foot is off the gas.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You still must stop to engage low

Or in a 4-wheel skid.

Most of the time, yes, you can go to 4 High in motion. Even my 1995 Explorer with an electronically selectable t-case could be switched into 4 Auto or 4 High while in motion, but it had to be below a certain speed. 4 Low required stopping, and probably does on most/all systems.

I'm not sure if my 1994 Ranger with manual t-case can go into 4 High while in motion, and I haven't tried, but it seems like it probably could. The shifter isn't gated from 2 High to 4 High, you just push it forward, and there is a gated neutral position before you can get to 4 Low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back