Soapy water or oil to mount tire on rim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to mount tires in the 1970s and we always used a slippery soapy water soultion of some sort. Recently had tires mounted and the shop used oil. I asked why and they said because it provides a better seal between the tire and the rim, vs the soapy water, which just dries out.

Hmmm...unless this is some new product I've never seen, then that seems strange.

I sure hope they were using something made for this specific purpose. Just using motor oil or something else doesn't seem right to me.

We had sticky goo that we could put on a rim before installing a tire if we needed extra sealing. But normally that stuff wasn't needed.

No oil!!!!!!

Most shops including mine uses products made for it but you can use dawn or laundry detergent. Soap will evaporate which is what you want after mounting. Oil can cause tire to slip on rim and throw balancing off

Would avoid that shop in the future

Clean the wheel, lube the bead (dish soap or sealer) and mount the tire

A quart of Bead Sealer can be found for less then $10

Is it possible that they were talking about Murphy's tire and tube mounting compound? I think it's really a soap (but could be wrong on that) made from vegetable oil and has an awfully long name that people will tend to want to shorten.

It's not good stuff to use if there's a chance the wheel might spin inside the tire.

I would think that Marvel Mystery Oil would work quite nicely and would not hurt the rubber or cause tire spin. After all, MMO is an all purpose oil. You can use it in your fuel, in your crankcase, on your door hinges, to shine old plastic, to slick back your hair, and as an air freshener.
43.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I would think that Marvel Mystery Oil would work quite nicely and would not hurt the rubber or cause tire spin. After all, MMO is an all purpose oil. You can use it in your fuel, in your crankcase, on your door hinges, to shine old plastic, to slick back your hair, and as an air freshener.
43.gif

I'm hoping that was a joke. Hard to read facial expressions over the internet.

But just in case it wasn't: Do NOT use a petroleum product of ANY sort on tires. Petroleum dissolves rubber.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
43.gif

I'm hoping that was a joke. Hard to read facial expressions over the internet.

But just in case it wasn't: Do NOT use a petroleum product of ANY sort on tires. Petroleum dissolves rubber.

I was serious, but would not do it.. I plan to ask this shop exactly what "oil" they are using on tires. They sell a lot of really expensive and fancy wheels and tires to folks with customized cars and I would think they would have had a lot of complaints by now if they are using the wrong stuff.

Made from oil isnt the same as Oil.

just the fact that the one thats made from veggie oil is able to be diluted 4:1 with water means its not "oil"

Use a tire mounting lubricant. Soap residue can cause wheel corrosion, petroleum products aren't good for rubber. Tire mounting products quit lubricating soon after mounting. Not as crucial for cars but could be for motorcycles.

If I had no tire mount lube, I'd use silicone spray on a car tire.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

We had sticky goo that we could put on a rim before installing a tire if we needed extra sealing. But normally that stuff wasn't needed.

ahh bead sealer... where i work we so rarely use bead sealer to seal a leaky bead.. it's mostly used in flat repairs to cover the top of the patch... and to paint our names onto our bump caps

funny story though about one time someone did have to use it on a tire... he applied too much and when the bead seated it flung bead sealer with enough force that there is a bit of black splatter on the ceiling of the shop

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
.....If I had no tire mount lube, I'd use silicone spray on a car tire.

DO NOT USE SILCONE!!

Every case of tires slipping on the rim, I have traced to the use of silicone - no exceptions.

DO NOT USE SILCONE!!

Every case of tires slipping on the rim, I have traced to the use of silicone - no exceptions.

OK

DO NOT USE SILCONE!!

I used Meguiar's M40 vinyl and rubber cleaner and conditioner to mount the rear tire on my bike. Worked fine and hasn't slipped despite how much of a lashing it gets on the rare occasion I actually ride.

That was on 30 year old alloys, though. Perhaps the results would be different on painted steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back