Porsche A40 Testing Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
I can't share it.

Engine has changed from the M96 normally aspirated to the M9A1 twin turbo direct injection 500hp engine. Its a very challenging test with turbo coking of oil feeds a parameter (autbahn hot shut down to cook the oil)

Are there any tests more challenging in your opinion?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just curious, but what is the reasoning behind Porsche not wanting to openly share the details behind the A40 testing protocol? Most other manufacturers are pretty open about what it takes to meet one of their specs. Does Porsche want an oil manufacturer to pay up first before they release this information?

No one shares test protocol or details. Which tests have you seen? For CEC you have to be part of the group and pay to see the test protocols. Porsche are one of a few OEMs who own the test and control the oils that run in it, others allow external test houses to run the tests on their behalf

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I can't share it.

Engine has changed from the M96 normally aspirated to the M9A1 twin turbo direct injection 500hp engine. Its a very challenging test with turbo coking of oil feeds a parameter (autbahn hot shut down to cook the oil)

VW 504 507 type testing and BMWs new N20 test.

are there any oil that meets LL-01 and MB specs that don't meet A40? Just curious....Most Euro oil available to me over the counter usually meets all three German specs.

Is A40 more stringent than other Euro specs?

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
are there any oil that meets LL-01 and MB specs that don't meet A40? Just curious...

Well, yes. All the Xw-30 oils for example, since Porsche A40 does not allow Xw-30 grades.
smile.gif

right, forgot about that
smile.gif

I guess the conclusion remains the same, you really can't go wrong with either M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40 if your car calls for 40wt oil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
are there any oil that meets LL-01 and MB specs that don't meet A40? Just curious...

Well, yes. All the Xw-30 oils for example, since Porsche A40 does not allow Xw-30 grades.
smile.gif

Xw-30 oils here are mostly for DPF equiped vehicles....and have LL-04 specification (BMW's for DPF...)

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Xw-30 oils here are mostly for DPF equiped vehicles....and have LL-04 specification (BMW's for DPF...)

Maybe check the Mobil Oil or Shell website for Slovenia for recommended oils in a gasoline BMW engine. I think as long as the gasoline fuel used is low sulfur like western Europe, (not the U.S. and some other places with high sulfur), then LL-04 can be used very well in gas engines.

From an Opie Oils document about BMW specs:
" LL-04 oils must not be used in BMW spark-ignition engines in
countries outside Europe (EU plus Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein)."

Last edited:
I bet Porsche doesn't publish the test criteria so rouge oil companies can't claim they meet or exceed the specs, which helps the companies that get the approval.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Maybe check the Mobil Oil or Shell website for Slovenia for recommended oils in a gasoline BMW engine. I think as long as the gasoline fuel used is low sulfur like western Europe, (not the U.S. and some other places with high sulfur), then LL-04 can be used very well in gas engines.
[/i] [/quote]

That is correct....you can use LL-04 (DPF) oil in gasoline BMW.....as u mentioned where gasoline has low sulfur content ( due the lack of abillity of DPFs oils to absorb acids)

LL-01 and LL-04 can be "interchangable" in GASOLINE engines.....

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I can't share it.

VW 504 507 type testing and BMWs new N20 test.

Did the test criteria change when they moved to 504 from 503.01, or was it just the added requirement for the oil to be low saps? It seems to me the later would be a better oil to use in the USA, which would explain GC/BC 0w-30 still being the older SL formulation. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back