Shell V-Power NiTRO+

Status
Not open for further replies.
No benefit to Shell Nitro here. For what it's worth, I keep meticulous mileage records. The new Nitro gas gave me zero increase in gas mileage over Kroger or Chevron 87 (cheapest) octane gas. I drive a 2005 Ford Focus.

I've noticed some of the Shell stations have started to increase the price differential between regular/mid-grade and premium - others don't seem to have changed the price differential much. Just depends on the station. In general Shell is the most expensive in my area - given that gas prices are up I might be switching my Mazda back to BP.

Originally Posted By: Spiffytexan
No benefit to Shell Nitro here. For what it's worth, I keep meticulous mileage records. The new Nitro gas gave me zero increase in gas mileage over Kroger or Chevron 87 (cheapest) octane gas. I drive a 2005 Ford Focus.

If your car is not meant for premium then there's no benefit of running the Shell vpower nitro+ premium gasoline...

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Originally Posted By: Spiffytexan

If your car is not meant for premium then there's no benefit of running the Shell vpower nitro+ premium gasoline...

Exactly, performance car computers advance timing with an increase in octane, econo boxes don't.

I think some stations must still be selling not NiTRO+, even since the signage and labeling was put up. I use 100% Shell 93 octane from the same pump at the same station every time I fill up, and didn't notice any discernible different at all until a week or so ago. I wonder if delivery schedules and customer flow might have slowed its initial adoption.

--Matt

Not even sure Nitro+ has a different formulation from V-Power. Even if it does, I'd expect the difference to be minute.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Not even sure Nitro+ has a different formulation from V-Power. Even if it does, I'd expect the difference to be minute.

Unless they're selling 93 octane when it used to be 91 or 92, I'd think the chances are minute. Shell doesn't do anything different than other fuel marketers; they're perfectly willing to buy/sell/trade commodity base fuel depending on their logistical needs.

The only conceivable difference will be in the additive package.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Yes, that's pretty much all we're really talking about, really...

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

Yes, that's pretty much all we're really talking about, really...

robert

Yup, otherwise your regularly scheduled E10. I've noted a small (beyond margin of error, but just slightly) mileage increase though.

--Matt

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I think this is a Techron-like product since PEA is a nitrogen based chemical.

Sort of. It is by definition a compound containing an amino group (some sort of NH group). However, it's more specifically a synthetic polymer. The biggest use of PEA is for curing epoxy resins.

http://www.huntsman.com/portal/page/port...etheramines.pdf

JEFFAMINE polytheramines are a part of an expanding family of Huntsman products. They contain primary amino groups attached to the end of a polyether backbone. The polyether backbone is normally based on either propylene oxide (PO), ethylene oxide (EO), or mixed PO/EO. Thus they are called “polyetheramines.” Historically, the JEFFAMINE polyetheramine family consisted of monoamines, diamines, and triamines based on this core structure.

The joke some people tell is that "nitrogen enriched" means dumping in some sort of animal-based fertilizer.

Yes, I brought that Huntsmann document to the board a few months ago and I calculate the needed addition to regular in my case is to go from 17mg per 100ml (Shell unleaded, according to Paragon Labs) in the house of 31 mg to 100ml of fuel (Shell Premium, also according to Paragon Labs). Since Pea is about 30% of most add packs, I need 3,3g per 40Liters [about 11 gal.) to boost it up, what I do. Premixed, of course... Not an advice or endorment of my part, though
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
I've never had a performance difference with ANY brand of gas in my toyota applications.

Sounds like good marketing thats all.

You've clearly never had an MR2 turbo :p

Honestly though, higher performance forced induction applications are much more finicky about fuel quality than anything that else in my experience. I've never had a car that required 87 and really behaved perceptibly differently on any specific brand or grade of gas, but have owned plenty of cars that require 91 or 93 that sure as heck do.

--Matt

Last edited:
I've been running it through the last few tanks in my van and FJ and I can't tell any difference whatsoever in performance or mileage.

Originally Posted By: Tony_Mack
I've been running it through the last few tanks in my van and FJ and I can't tell any difference whatsoever in performance or mileage.

Same in the M5, no difference between it, Esso, Petro-Canada....etc in 91.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb

I thought that the difference was that the 87 and 89 Shell octane has x2 the detergent level of the Top Tier standard and that the 91 octane V-Power has x5 the detergent level and that the new Nitro+ has x7 the detergent level plus apparently an UCL???

I wouldn't expect a MPG bump from any of these variations unless it has less ethanol.

Totally anecdotal and not statistically relevant, but I recently pulled the plugs on my S2000 and noticed a fair bit of carbon on the tops of the pistons. This hadn't existed in the past. The only real change is that I have been using Valero fuel rather than Shell as it is $0.40-$0.70/gallon cheaper. I also haven't been tracking it as often, so most of its duties have been putting a few miles to my kid's school and back; I suspect that has more to do with the carbon than the fuel. Still, I'm back to Shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back