2015 Tacoma one week review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a new Toyota Tacoma in New Hampshire last weekend and drove it to Florida so it now has nearly 2000 miles on it. It is an access cab model with the 4.0 v6, SR5, 4x4 and a 6-speed manual transmission.

My initial impression is that this thing is built like a tank. Everything just feels solid and substantial, very different from the "tin can" feeling that I used to get from my old 1988 Toyota pickup.

Pros-
-Engine. Very smooth and powerful. 236 hp moves this truck along just fine, I drove the 4 cylinder and it was underwhelming so I'm glad that I opted for the 6. I also wanted to get the time proven 4.0 before next years new 3.5 comes out.
-Ergonomics. Nothing like a 1500 mile road trip in the first week of ownership to get a feel for the interior! I am 6'-5" and I fit just fine, everything is placed intuitively and just plain works. This 20th century neanderthal was even able to sync my phone to the radio hands-free feature.
-5w-30 motor oil. In this age of ultra thin oils, I was surprised to see this weight specified.
-I fully expect to get at least 250,000 miles from this truck and this should the last truck that I buy.
-Chrome rear bumper. Anyone remember those?
-Backup camera. Yeah, these are pretty universal now but new to me and I like it.

Cons-
-No digital thermometer or compass. I thought all new cars had these?
-Steel wheels. For the money they get they should all come standard with alloy wheels, I will be getting a set soon.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the truck and glad that I opted for the 2015 before the newly redesigned 2016s come out.

2015-07-20%2022.08.46-XL.jpg

2015-07-20%2022.10.23-XL.jpg

2015-07-20%2022.09.51-XL.jpg

2015-07-20%2022.11.07-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 2013 with the 5 speed auto and it has been 100% reliable.
You may want to change out those Dunlops (the one weak link) but I have no complaints otherwise. Nice color.

Thanks for the review! My brother has an '09, same setup, and swears by his. What kind of fuel economy did you experience?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
6 speed manual, something you don't see in any of the big 3's trucks! I wish I could have got one in my Ram!

You could have, but only in the 2500/3500 with the diesel.

Last edited:
Nice truck! I made the trek down 95 to Florida last week, too.

The 4.0 in our 4Runner has been great. Good little engine.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Thanks for the review! My brother has an '09, same setup, and swears by his. What kind of fuel economy did you experience?

So far I'm at a 19mpg average. I was hoping for 20 but I drove it pretty hard and a long interstate haul is not the ideal break-in scenario.

Glad the OP is opting to move to alloy rims.

My observations indicate "those type of toyota of steel wheels" age badly. Maybe if it is in FL most of the year, not an issue.

Truck looks great!

Nice find! Appears to have good ole manual A/C too which I love in this era of automatic everything. I only have one question - how does the trannie shift? Hopefully smooth with short throws..
Once again, very nice truck...

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Nice find! Appears to have good ole manual A/C too which I love in this era of automatic everything. I only have one question - how does the trannie shift? Hopefully smooth with short throws..
My Ram has manual a/c thankfully as well. I'm not into the auto-everything either!

No outdoor temp? odd. Have grown to like them in my vehciles. Kinda silly, I should be more interested in actual road temp. But it is nice to know outdoor temp.

No compass, hmm, never had one, not sure what I'm missing. Then again we have gps units and that works well enough for my curiousity about where I'm headed.

Oh, and congrads on the new truck. Looks good!

I'm much more interested in instant fuel economy than compass reading. My 2011 base model Camry had the outside temperature, but no fuel economy indicators. You had to buy a higher trim for that...

Again, nice truck. It should serve you well for pretty much ever.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Nice find! I only have one question - how does the trannie shift? Hopefully smooth with short throws..

I would not say that the throws are short, but not too long, it is a truck after all. The trans shifts just fine and seems to already be losing a bit of the notchiness that was somewhat evident on my original test drive.

Nice Tacoma, save your money on the alloys...try black plastic paint on the center caps, great look for $5. My Highlander steel rims are in nice shape after 55k & 10 yrs., even bought a used set of the same steel rims that I'll refinish for when I change out the LTX tires in another 50k.

One weak spot on these trucks is the frame tends to rust quickly. Be sure to rinse the salt off the underside frequently and touch up any spots forming right away. The worst spot is on the drivers side right next to the cat. That is where it usually starts.
Other than that, those things are rock solid reliable. I love my 06 Taco. 200,000+ miles and never a single breakdown or major repair. Still runs like new. Just normal wear items and maintenance. Nice truck, enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back