Diesel fuel additives and optimal salad dressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking around at cetane improvers the other day, and found lots of patents on beta carotene as a cetane improver...haven't found enough to make a post on it as a separate issues.

But have found this on diesel fuel lubricity

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/38157.pdf

Examines the changes in wear scar with different seed/nut oils, and essential oils.

Quite interesting on grapeseed and castor in diesel.

And I just bought another gallon of TCW-3...

Diesel fuel should have additives for lubricity so even older diesel trucks and equipment with mechanical fuel injectors will run properly. But that may or may not be the case. I am not sure anyone really checks, like the weights and measures people check to make sure you get an actual gallon of gas when the display says 1 gallon.

I use TCW-3.

Heh heh, 28 pages of charts and graphs distilled down to use TCW-3.
laugh.gif

Good to know the anecdotal conclusions derived here are at least congruent to scientific observations
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Heh heh, 28 pages of charts and graphs distilled down to use TCW-3.
laugh.gif

Good to know the anecdotal conclusions derived here are at least congruent to scientific observations
laugh.gif

Should have said that I read the article after having just bought a gallon of TCW-3.

The grapeseed at 1 part per thousand had comparable wear scar reduction to the TCW test in the lubricity study.

well, from the commonly available oils here, and other papers about the same sort of research, I'm adding a bit of peanut oil to each tank.. 500 ppm aswell... been doing this for 2 years now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Was looking around at cetane improvers the other day, and found lots of patents on beta carotene as a cetane improver...haven't found enough to make a post on it as a separate issues.
Interesting note on the beta carotene as a cetane improver! Please post any findings of interest. Recently I have been blending 10% of my DIY biodiesel with my DIY homemade diesel with excellent results re cetane improving. Keen to talk about cetane improving at some stage. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
well, from the commonly available oils here, and other papers about the same sort of research, I'm adding a bit of peanut oil to each tank.. 500 ppm aswell... been doing this for 2 years now.

Thinking of the other thread, your doping engine oils with jet oils, I recalled the following additives that are ester based, and claim to partially survive combustion and form films in the top ring area.

http://www.d-1280x.com/d-1280x fuel additive detailed info.html

Since virtually all diesel, at least at major truck stop chains, has between B2 and B20 biodiesel already in it, I don't add anything for lubricity. Biodiesel not only adds considerable lubricity, it also raises cetane as well. Except for an anti-gel in winter months, and dosing the tanks with a biocide every 2-3 months, I have not been motivated to throw anything else in the tanks.

Thinking of the other thread, your doping engine oils with jet oils, I recalled the following additives that are ester based, and claim to partially survive combustion and form films in the top ring area.

Jet oils? No, I put some Ac compressor oil in the sump to get rid of it. I'll read the link now

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Since virtually all diesel, at least at major truck stop chains, has between B2 and B20 biodiesel already in it, I don't add anything for lubricity. Biodiesel not only adds considerable lubricity, it also raises cetane as well. Except for an anti-gel in winter months, and dosing the tanks with a biocide every 2-3 months, I have not been motivated to throw anything else in the tanks.

refined biodiesel has ver little effect on lubricity. There are research papers out there that found that the added lubricity of Biodiesel comes from leftover glycerides, monoglycerides being better than di- or tri-. When those are removed, lubricity falls to the same level as regular diesel.

No B20 here anyway, only B5.

Last edited:

Well, I do get similar results.. went on vacation the last 2 weeks, and on the whole 3900 km trip I got 1 dpf regeneration in total, after 2200 km. the previous regen happened a few days before I left on vacation. My current commute is only about 10 miles long in the morning, and often only 2 miles in the evening (down from 30 each when I bought the car), yet I have no dpf issues and very infrequent regens, typically 7-800 km apart... that is at least 3 times longer than other cars with similar use.

interesting tidbit about vegtable oils:

All the common oils have a viscosity index above 200. In the case of peanut oil it has been calculated as 222. They are all newtonian fluids

Their SAE viscosity falls high in the 20 weight range, but the HTHS viscosity is well above 3.5 cP

Lubricity is quite high for some varieties aswell, due to fatty acids.

Of course, these are not suitable as crankcase oils, and most solidify at high temperatures (around 50°F) if pure.

I've seen them being used in lieu of 2-stroke oil while on vacation in the philippines. That was most likely palm oil considering the region. Not ideal , but it must work to some degree.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

I thought you said in another thread that you always use a Schaefers fuel additive in every tank????

For a long time that was true. Only recently due to the very cost effective pricing I have gotten, have I humored my oil supplier and used the Schaeffer fuel additives. But that is primarily for winter anti gel purposes, not some ideas about needing lubricity or cetane improvers. I let the biodiesel that is already a part of the fuel I buy take care of that. Figured up the cost for me to use it and it runs around 1 cent a gallon for the Schaeffer stuff. Pretty cost effective. And I got a free 5 gallon can of the their regular diesel fuel additive in my last order. If you read the spec sheets, the Schaeffer stuff uses a soy based lubricity component. Well, since the biodiesel in my fuel is primarily soy based, I think it can do the job just fine for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back