pulling boat/trailer from the water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I've been on steep gravel drives that i had to use 4wd to pull my travel trailer so i would not spin and throw rocks .

Try backing your 33 foot 5th wheel rig into its slot in the campground when it's muddy. There are dozens of times where 2wd is fine until you need to turn the wheels a bit...

Always amazed me the difference it makes having only one extra tire on the front end providing motive force...

Locking front and rear diffs made all the difference in the world for the really rough stuff. I always hated watching my front right and rear left go crazy once it was really on.

I don't believe you can judge by your experience in your yard as to whether or not you can pull this boat out of a ramp. I had a heck of a time one spring when my boat sunk into my yard (no incline). I was surprised just how stuck it was in these shallow impressions. Other than that experience I have no issue pulling that boat and an even larger boat out at the ramps I go to. I pull an 18 ft with a 4 cyl, front wheel drive RAV4 and I have had many comments how my RAV is too small. I would say, start out with the "known good" ramps first before trying the steeper ones.

Just try. Have a sling to a friends truck to be on the safe side the first try. But on a good ramp a 24 ft boat would not be that hard to pull. I pulled our 258 regal up the ramp with our Mitsu Outlander last fall. no probs. Any truck would be embarrased to fail this task...
wink.gif

1. Make sure the boat is enough forward so the tounge weight is at least 125 pounds so the rear tires can grab.
2.No ESP on
3. No slime on ramp, rather grooved.

Exactly. The tire holes can easily equal a very steep ramp. And, if you have brakes and backed in your boat, they could have stuck with brakes on.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I don't believe you can judge by your experience in your yard as to whether or not you can pull this boat out of a ramp. I had a heck of a time one spring when my boat sunk into my yard (no incline). I was surprised just how stuck it was in these shallow impressions. Other than that experience I have no issue pulling that boat and an even larger boat out at the ramps I go to. I pull an 18 ft with a 4 cyl, front wheel drive RAV4 and I have had many comments how my RAV is too small. I would say, start out with the "known good" ramps first before trying the steeper ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back