First look: GM’s new Modular Ecotec engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Rand
GM is making new engines in china? hopefully for chinese market only.

This, after being bailed out by the American taxpayers.....no more GM's for me ....

Has GM figured out how to keep the coolant in their engines yet?
They'll need a big grant for that project.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The article says, "Total global production for the new modular family will take place in five GM Powertrain plants including the all-new facility in Shenyang, China." I imagine that production will be regional in nature, and engines produced in China will be used in the Asian market.
If Generous Motors can save a buck, you'll see those engines right here in the USA.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Rat407
Looks like they got rid of the cartridge oil filter and are going back to a spin-on filter.....

That's interesting. Actually engine cost per unit is less with spin-on than cartridge with housing.

The U.S. EPA is considering legislation to require engines to use cartridge oil filters to reduce metal usage and waste, along with laws influencing oil change intervals, similar to the push now in California for longer oil change intervals.
The EPA can't "legislate", they can only make regulations, there's a good chance that little stunt won't get by THIS Congress. Just whisper "E 10 gas".

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
. The EPA can't "legislate", they can only make regulations, there's a good chance that little stunt won't get by THIS Congress. Just whisper "E 10 gas".

Correction: They are proposing legislative language to support new regulations.
Sorry I confused you.

Lobby money makes all politicians happy to disregard the best for their constituency and what is best for the those that donate the most.

Not another POS overhead cam engine BLAH I hate ohc engines .Poor design for passenger car engines cheaper to make more expensive to fix. And way too bulky.

No for the stupid Americans.

Common bore spacings, diameters, piston sized etc.

A 3 cylinder can theoretically be machined on the same machine as the 4, arcitecturally the same.

Can be used to make a V6/V8/V10 that look like they can be pancaked together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back