Confirmed with GM- no 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could always ask them if it is dexos 1 compliant and if not why not?
I don't think they have been asked that question directly.
With their 0W-20, they flat out say it will not void any warranty that specifies a 5W-20 grade oil.

I don't know that the cam phasers are hard on the oil, definitely wouldn't think the GM ones are any worse than anyone elses. My thoughts are more regarding how well they operate on a sheared oil like we see in many Ecotec UOAs (some fairly significant). Some of the dexos literature says that the increased aeration requirement is related to the phasers, so maybe the viscosity isn't relevant to them.

Like CATERHAM and OVERK1LL I think you have to wonder how different the PC 0w30 is from the 5w30. Maybe the biggest difference is the lack of approval.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
I believe Castrol 0W30 meets the MB 229.5 spec which I think needs a NOACK of 10%. That's what I'm using now since I got it on sale at Pepboys.

So then you aren't worried about GC only having an SL rating?

In this case, I think I'd listen to the engineer. It's pretty cool that he contacted you like he did. The real world difference in cold weather pumpability of a 0W30 vs 5W30 is likely not that great anyways.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Interesting, I wonder how many 0W30s would meet the dexos 1 specs if tested.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
13% NOACK isn't such a strict limit. You should be able to find a 0w-30 that qualifies. I wouldn't be surprised if M1 0w-30 fit the bill...

Redline 0W-30 or 0W-20, which is a light 30, will blow M1 off the map here.

M1 would maybe work, maybe be sort of noisy.

Also. M1 is the AFE, so you want Advanced Fuel Economy oil in there?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: pavelow
In this case, I think I'd listen to the engineer.

He was thorough too because he balanced the engineering side of it with the legal obligations as well. The most important thing to you as the owner is to protect your warranty rights. Follow his advice.

...so what are all of your thoughts on GC which is a thick, SL rated 0w30 in this 1.4T application?

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting--totally agree that it is amazing for a powertrain engineer to actually personally call you and think that speaks very well for GM. Makes me feel better about the recent purchase of a GM Cadillac SRX.

This is a big resurrection, but a very interesting topic. GM has allowed for 0w-30 in winters for a long time, in fact before the grade became easy to find, not that it's really easy to find right now, aside from M1 0w-30 AFE (which still only recently came to Canada). And when dexos1 came out, it was 5w-30 only. Now, there are other grades, including 0w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back