Two dead in Laguna Seca crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two riders died in a crash during the start of the MotoAmerica Superbike Race.

RIP, Bernat Martinez, of Alberic, Valencia, Spain, 35, and Daniel Rivas Fernandez, of Moana Galicia, Spain, 27.

News Link

Last edited:
Bicycle riders have much more chance to injured/died in a race than drivers of F1 or Indy ... Riders have very little protections compares with drivers.

How terrible. I've seen many videos of motorcycle racers walking away after accidents. To see two killed at the same time is just shocking.

I was watching that live when it happened, I knew it was bad by the time it took to clear the track and also the complete absence of info for awhile, that's never a good sign. Then when I heard later that two riders died, I was and still am shocked.

I roadraced for many years, and fairly successfully, so I feel something deep with these guys. I remember having that in the back of my mind. And I remember those that have passed in similar ways, and I know everyone always says "at least they died doing what they love". True to an extent, but I'll tell ya one thing.............there's not a one of them that given a choice of seeing tomorrow vs riding that day would choose riding. So for me there's no solice is dying that way.

God speed, good sirs.

Daniel Rivas Fernandez's BMW lost power just after the start; he was struck from behind, knocked off his bike, hit by another bike, and fatally injured. Bernat Martinez was fatally injured in the subsequent chain reaction accident.

Marv and I were unpacking from a fun filled weekend at Laguna Seca when we were shocked to
learn of the tragic loss of life... We share the grief of their loved ones in this time of
bereavement and offer our deepest sympathy and condolences...

Unrelated to this tragedy I just heard an interesting rumor coming out of Italy
that WSB is going to Indie instead of Laguna in 2016...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back