Amazon, gets bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so convenient to shop from Amazon for many items.
My family has spent $1000s with them over the years without regret.

Went to a local bookstore recently (Autobooks in Burbank) looking for one of Paul Van Valkenburgh's editions.
Proprietor didn't have it but she searched Amazon and referred me there!
I try to patronize local outfits for most purchases but some (many?) will simply go away never to be seen again.

HomeGrocer didn't do too well but consumer habits and online comfort levels have continued to evolve.

I'm pleased Amazon continues to prove a strong performer in my long portfolio.
smile.gif

http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2009...e-all-the-rage/

I told Amazon I will not be renewing my Prime membership after the flag incident.

Last edited:
Great company. Flawless customer service so far, and I support where they stand on political and social issues, too.
Prime is totally worth it for the free 2-day shipping alone, not to mention the growing collection of free video and music streaming.

(And if you really boycott a company then one must boycott them completely. not just in a certain segment, IMO)

Originally Posted By: hatt
I told Amazon I will not be renewing my Prime membership after the flag incident.

Ditto....'Free Speech' shouldn't be just for 'PC free speech'....

Originally Posted By: pbm

Ditto....'Free Speech' shouldn't be just for 'PC free speech'....
They can do what they want but I don't have to support them. I've been trying to give local biz more money anyway. After all the mega corps run the little guys out of biz we'll have no choice but bad and worst.

Originally Posted By: splinter

I try to patronize local outfits for most purchases but some (many?) will simply go away never to be seen again.

Look a Schwan's, THAT is how you do groceries to home. Groceries are time sensitive, and a Salesforce like Schwan's is the answer.

...and I hate small businesses that rather "sell you out" to the big guys. Had a one man computer shop that just changed ownership. I bought all sorts of peripherals from the older guy, spent 1,000's on old obsolete items he got from auctions, the new guy told me when I needed a serial USB card.... he told me to check at Staples(30 mile drive) (I seriously don't think they would have had it, and would have to special order anyhow, circa 2005)

I never went back.

Last edited:

Help me out here...not recalling a flag incident.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Pulling the "Confederate flag" after the Charleston shooting.

I have a Prime membership but before I did I ordered something in stock and a week and a half later it had not shipped. When I called and complained they said it was because I had not upgraded the shipping which of course involved paying them money.

I have always got quick shipment and arrival at other places I shopped in the past such as Tiger Direct without having to pay them more. I am surprised they don'y promote shipping insurance too which is a farce. A family member just had a situation with them and I am considering not renewing my Prime membership when it is up.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

Pulling the "Confederate flag" after the Charleston shooting.

Oh yes, that was the entire reason I decided to renew my Prime membership. That and I like the free shipping.

Guess Wal-mart is out too?

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Watch out Wally World, do you remember J.W Woolworth??
That's cold.
grin.gif

Last edited:

Oh yes, that was the entire reason I decided to renew my Prime membership. That and I like the free shipping.

Guess Wal-mart is out too?
WM been out except for a couple products. Be sure to spend an extra thousand+/yr at Amazon to make them whole for their brave stand.

Originally Posted By: splinter
It's so convenient to shop from Amazon for many items.
My family has spent $1000s with them over the years without regret.

Went to a local bookstore recently (Autobooks in Burbank) looking for one of Paul Van Valkenburgh's editions.

HomeGrocer didn't do too well but consumer habits and online comfort levels have continued to evolve.

I'm pleased Amazon continues to prove a strong performer in my long portfolio.
smile.gif

http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2009...e-all-the-rage/
Have they turned a profit yet? Dividends?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Have they turned a profit yet? Dividends?

You'd have your answer if you could learn how to use Google.

I remember when folks raised heck about Chick-Fil-A's opinions. They are still in business and prospering. Same for Amazon. You can vote with your wallet, but in the end it means nothing to Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back