OIl level sight glass ....ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Which ever 'engineer' decided on an oil level sight glass while removing the center-stand should be fired. It now takes 2 people or mirrors (and hawk like eye sight) to check one's oil level. This is supposed to be progress?.

If you try to check your oil without a helper it's very easy to drop your bike (while trying to have it level).

Why did they remove the center-stand which would have kept it level for checking?

I have no idea what bike you have, but a set of stands might be a good investment. Both of my street bikes have an oil level sight glass. I put them up on the stands to check oil level, change the oil and filter, clean and lube the chain, remove and replace wheels for tire changes, etc., etc.

And then you have something stupid like my bike where it says check oil level with bike off the center & side stand, both wheels on level ground. The bike is level on the center stand but I guess oil can't find level if the bike is 3" higher
crazy.gif

If you are uncomfortable trying to check it yourself, get a swingarm stand. Cheap and easy. I manage to balance my Speedmaster fine to check the oil. What really is a pain is chain maintenance without a center stand.

I've never had a problem with a sight glass, in fact I always thought it was a clever idea. My Harley's engine oil is designed to be checked on the 'jiffy' stand and the transmission oil to be checked with the bike level, and the primary inspection cover to be taken off and checked with the bike level. You need a pit crew to check all the oil levels in my old Harley.

Don't see a problem with it. My Duc has a sight glass, prefer it to dipsticks. I have a ctr stand, but since it's on the opposite side from the side stand it's still not hard to squat next to the bike on the sight glass side grab the right grip and the pillion grab rail and pull the bike upright while looking at the glass. Then I just ease it back over and let it settle back onto the side stand.

Only 18,700 miles on the clock and it doesn't burn any oil, so I don't need to check it that often.

Mine needs to be held to check oil...the reading won't be accurate on the center stand. Every time I check oil, I half expect I will pull the thing over onto myself!

So long as the glass is on the right side of the bike, it's an easy day. Grab the right grip, squeeze the front brake, pull the bike off the sidestand while taking a knee and observe the sight glass. Much better than dipstick, as far as I'm concerned.

I drained the oil, refilled it with the proper amount and marked the dipstick at the spot where the oil level appears when on the side stand. QED.

Engineers know not add a heavy and ponderous center stand that
will just get in the way of your cornering... get yourself a
proper maintenance stand to check oil and go out and kick it and
wick it and flick it...

Originally Posted By: pbm
Which ever 'engineer' decided on an oil level sight glass while removing the center-stand should be fired. It now takes 2 people or mirrors (and hawk like eye sight) to check one's oil level. This is supposed to be progress?.

Not only that, but my Vulcan 500 had a bunch of cables running right in front of it so it wasn't easy to see even if you looked straight at it...

P1060246.jpg

My F700GS had a proper dipstick, but even then, you were supposed to keep the bike straight up (level) when checking the oil level, yet the bike had no center stand.

I have a Yamaha V Star 650 with the oil sight glass under the left side floorboard. You have to have the bike level to get a reading and not on the kick stand. To check you have to run the bike and then shut it off and see where the level is goes to.

I'll run the bike a few minutes and then turn it off. While still sitting on it keeping it level I use a telescoping inspection mirror to see the sight glass. Works perfect.

Trying to check the oil level without the mirror and by myself would be dangerous. Without the mirror I'd have to have another person help me.

I would kill for a sight glass...my bike requires you let the engine idle for 15 mins, then let it sit for 3 mins before checking the level on the dipstick...completely stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back