Why have 5W-30 or 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LubricatusObsess
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: LubricatusObsess
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I did notice that when I could find side by side test results on an oil maker's website, the 0WXX NOACK numbers were generally worse than for the 5WXX oils...that would definitely concern me.

+1

Unless you live in Moosejaw Saskatchewan, no need for 0W & definite drawbacks on stability.

I think the majority of Euro OEM's would disagree with you given that a very large percentage of their approved lubricants are 0w-xx. Stability-wise, they also have NOACK below 10% (much lower than many 5w-xx non-Euro oils) and most have proven to be very shear stable as well.

Sure but posters on this thread don't live in Europe & typically access to full PAO sans VII is scare, so my point is valid for like vs. like formulations.

Typical access to any oil sans VII is next to non-existent if you read the recent thread about it. Two lubes right off the top of my head that are Euro grades with high percentages of PAO are M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40.

A majority PAO "regular" PCMO that is readily available is M1 EP 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: stchman
I keep wondering that when oil manufacturers are making 0W-30 and 0W-20, why even have 5W-30 and 5W-20? The 0W oils are getting pretty popular as of late.

0W-30 and 5W-30 are identical at operating temperatures and 0W gives better cold flowing properties, same with 0W-20 vs. 5W-20.

IMO, it would simplify packaging and inventory for oil makers.

A lot of manufacturers are specifying that in very cold climates a 0W can be used in place of a 5W.

Thanks.

Except that 0w-20s and 0w-30s are possible only as a full synthetic or synthetic blend. So if that if these were the only viscosities available, there would be no more conventional oils and cost would go up.

Speaking of what automakers are left using conventional except maybe Fiat/Chrysler? Most if not all have switched to synthetic or synthetic blends if I am not mistaken.

Toyota - 0W-20
Mazda - 0W-20
Honda - 5W-20 (blend - or have they switched to 0W-20?)
Subaru - 0W-20
Hyundai - 0W-20
Kia - 0W-20
Volkswagen/Audi - 5W-40/0W-30
BMW/Mini - 5W-30 (synthetic)
MB - 0W-40?
Ford - 5W-20 (blend)
GM - Dexos (blend or full synthetic)
Chrysler - ?????

Never thought about it but quite interesting to see the sweeping change to synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back