Manual Trans are Disappearing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
As an interesting note, my Mazda dealer really wants to buy my MTX Mazda3 from me because they can't find enough to satisfy their shoppers right now.
Hey guys, we found a live one!!!
And car salespersons NEVER lie.

So you think a salesman wants to buy a car that they can't sell? They are offering me cash, not some type of trade-in special.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Atleast I can still pop in N to get some free mileage down the hills...

Coasting down a hill in neutral uses more fuel than coasting in gear, because coasting in gear completely shuts down the injectors while coasting in neutral they are still injecting fuel while the engine is at idle. I see this on my scanguage in my Honda, because coasting in gear causes the instant MPG to go to the highest value of 9999 MPG.

This is completely relative. Too many factors to consider to make a blanket statement. Coasting in gear also creates more drag and zaps momentum. From my experiments, if you aren't trying to slow down, coasting in neutral is more efficient. If you are slowing down (either braking or coasting) leaving it in gear and letting the injectors shut off is the most efficient.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Quote:
As an interesting note, my Mazda dealer really wants to buy my MTX Mazda3 from me because they can't find enough to satisfy their shoppers right now.
Hey guys, we found a live one!!!
And car salespersons NEVER lie.

So you think a salesman wants to buy a car that they can't sell? They are offering me cash, not some type of trade-in special.
Can you check your driving license and look at the birth date printed there? I am wondering if it says "07/23/2015"

Can you check your driving license and look at the birth date printed there? I am wondering if it says "07/23/2015"

I get that my post defies what you want to believe. So what are you trying to get at? Do you have a logical question or concern or are you just here to flame?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
This is completely relative. Too many factors to consider to make a blanket statement. Coasting in gear also creates more drag and zaps momentum. From my experiments, if you aren't trying to slow down, coasting in neutral is more efficient. If you are slowing down (either braking or coasting) leaving it in gear and letting the injectors shut off is the most efficient.

I agree.

On a slight declined (1-2 degree) coasting in gear will slow down the car(with injector off), but coasting in neutral may keep the car rolling at the same speed.

On a steeper declined (5-6 degree or more) coasting in gear is better.

I like a good manual. However traffic jams suck.

Modern cars with idle speed control, many times you can take off and not touch the throttle if you are not in a hurry.

Most folks seem to want to talk on the phone, and eat while driving. This is not as convenient with a manual.

Im just going to say this. I am not all that brand loyal that being said i am loyal to a manual transmission and will only buy them so whichever manufacturer makes them is who will get my money.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Im just going to say this. I am not all that brand loyal that being said i am loyal to a manual transmission and will only buy them so whichever manufacturer makes them is who will get my money.

Same here....
'69 Opel, '72 BMW, '67 VW, '72 Fiat, 70'Ford (truck), '70 Audi, '70 Plymouth/Mitsubishi, '89 Daihatsu (Japan), '85 Subaru, '94/'99 Nissan, '05 Toyota....all manual trannies...

I wasn't sure I'd find ANY nice used MTs a few years ago when the last Altima got totaled @ 195k miles, but found the Kitacam at the very 1st stop...lucky...I wonder how lucky I'll be when the Camry's run its course....4, 7, 10 years from now?

What a long thread with lots of opinions and thoughts. Automatics are certainly much better today than in years past and now often get better gas mileage than their manually shifted counterparts, although that is usually due to the final drive gear ratio IMO.

I prefer the driving experience more when I drive a stick shift, in fact all three vehicles in my garage are MT's, what are the odds of that?

Gonna throw my 2 cents in.

Drove nothing but manual transmission from the time I could drive (15) to last year (30). Unfortunately the reality of living in one of the gridlock capitals of the US (Atlanta) chased me to the automatic. It only took about a dozen times of sitting through 10+ light cycles trying to get off the downtown connector with burning eau de clutch wafting through the HVAC and my clutch leg about to fall off to make this happen. Just to give you an idea of Atlanta traffic, the connector was 10-15 mph gridlock last night at 11:00PM when I was going to pick up a friend at the airport.

I am quite impressed with newer automatics, my current car has an Aisin 6 speed and its programming is absolutely spot on. It does have a weird 3rd gear TC lockup scheme that kind of makes it a 7 speed, I am just now getting used to it after ~1300 miles. It seems to nicely predict what I want and when I want it, it does slightly try to shoot for the highest gear possible but it is not objectionable by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back