2015 vw jetta rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car is hard to explain for every good thing theres a bad. I like the engine but dint like the transmission it doesnt handle bad but is kinda numb. The dash is nice. I like the layout simple and functional but also all hard to touch materials that are kind of lack luster.
The seats are ok not bad jot great just average. The one thing i do not like at all is the steering wheel it is absolutely awful i cannot find a comfortable place to grab it. Really odd issue. Its not a bad car overall but i can't see buying it over the focus dart or the 3. Id probably even take the cruze over it.......all in all i was kind of surprised i feel like vw isn't as nice as they used to be.

They took a lot of content and typical vw class out in order to make it more acceptable to the general public. Ie cheaper to sell more cars

Doesnt surprise me they super cheapened the jetta to compete in the american market.

The 6 speed Aisin takes a bit of learning before it drives "normally", it took a good 300-400 miles before the transmission started re-acting how I wanted in my '15 Jetta S. Will admit the weird 3rd gear TC lockup takes some getting used to and I am just now not noticing it after ~1300 miles of daily driving.

Surprised on your remarks on the steering wheel, the '15+ unit is 500x better than what was in the '11-14 cars. I honestly think the wheel in my '15 is up there with my '10 and '15 Mazda 3 that I previously owned for feel.

In closing I was able to snag my '15 Jetta S (2.slow automatic) for $13,485 before TTL. Highly doubt I could find a Focus, Cruze, Civic, Corolla, Elantra or Forte let alone (insert subcompact car here) for that kinda couch cushion change.

Originally Posted By: pezzy669
The 6 speed Aisin takes a bit of learning before it drives "normally", it took a good 300-400 miles before the transmission started re-acting how I wanted in my '15 Jetta S. Will admit the weird 3rd gear TC lockup takes some getting used to and I am just now not noticing it after ~1300 miles of daily driving.

Surprised on your remarks on the steering wheel, the '15+ unit is 500x better than what was in the '11-14 cars. I honestly think the wheel in my '15 is up there with my '10 and '15 Mazda 3 that I previously owned for feel.

In closing I was able to snag my '15 Jetta S (2.slow automatic) for $13,485 before TTL. Highly doubt I could find a Focus, Cruze, Civic, Corolla, Elantra or Forte let alone (insert subcompact car here) for that kinda couch cushion change.

Sounds like you got a good deal . I think alot of it is just getting used to it. Id like it better with a stick for sure.

I also rented a Jetta recently and had similar thoughts. The 1.8 turbocharged engine made good power but the automatic transmission was a bit clunky at slow speeds. I attributed that to my lack of experience with a dual clutch automatic. It definitely feels more akin to a manual when accelerating from a stop. The materials used in the interior remind me of a Chevy Cobalt and the steering wheel has a flat spot on the bottom, similar to a 60's Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: SnPb
I also rented a Jetta recently and had similar thoughts. The 1.8 turbocharged engine made good power but the automatic transmission was a bit clunky at slow speeds. I attributed that to my lack of experience with a dual clutch automatic. It definitely feels more akin to a manual when accelerating from a stop. The materials used in the interior remind me of a Chevy Cobalt and the steering wheel has a flat spot on the bottom, similar to a 60's Chrysler.

The 1.8T actually has a conventional auto (6spd Aisin unit).

Yes, I just investigated an apparently the diesel has the dual clutch, but not the gasser. I guess that I will leave my description of the driving feel of the automatic as being substantially different than any other automatic that I have driven. Not necessarily bad, but not as smooth as one would expect from a torque converter coupling.

They lessened the price to for American public and hopefully up sales. The only Jetta that resembles the old one IMHO in premium part is the GLI version(starts at $27000).

The one you were driving was trying to achieve a
My wife is considering the related SportsWagon Golf manual transmission just not sure if 1.8 tsi okay for her or want the TDI.

I was going to get a VW the last 5 cars I bought.
I always remember back to the bad days and bail.
I think that and I only have two dealerships in a 100 mile radius
and they have always acted rather weird.
I know its short lived but Diesel is even with reg gas now
and I dumped my Diesel truck for a gas one. Oh well
Great deal pezzy- when you pay that kind of price you don't mind using the car!

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Great deal pezzy- when you pay that kind of price you don't mind using the car!

Thanks and yes the price makes the car just that much more attractive as a DD no matter it's on paper specs (115HP). I actually found the mythical 'get people in the door newspaper special' (1 of 3 at the dealership) and took full advantage, was waiting for the punchline and pinching myself the whole time while the paperwork was drawn up.
cool.gif

That was a great deal. Here in Vegas, Truecar's best price is $16,353 plus $707 in a "Documentary Service Fee" for a total over $17k. That's apples to apples with a manual 2.0 S.
If I could match the price you got, I might be able to hold my nose and get another VW.

Edit: I misread. I see you got the auto. It's $1100 more here. You got a killer deal!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
That was a great deal. Here in Vegas, Truecar's best price is $16,353 plus $707 in a "Documentary Service Fee" for a total over $17k. That's apples to apples with a manual 2.0 S.
If I could match the price you got, I might be able to hold my nose and get another VW.

Edit: I misread. I see you got the auto. It's $1100 more here. You got a killer deal!

Not sure how I got it but it was the advertised special, the remaining 2 newspaper specials on the lot went up $1k overnight after my car was removed from the inventory. Car was my 31st b'day present to myself and the stars just so happened to align properly.

Can't complain 1 bit. First maintenance visit is free (1 year/12k miles), 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60k powertrain warranty. I won't be spending a dime on this car (except gas, wipers and tires) for at least 24 months. Only drive 3-5k/annually so nearly zero maintenance costs until the 24 month mark.

Great deal Pezzy
I too have seen deals like that but as you noted they are
up for a day or so. You have to be quick and go for it.

Dealers around here offer you 20 rebates for which you qualify for none. I walk on those places.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

My wife is considering the related SportsWagon Golf manual transmission just not sure if 1.8 tsi okay for her or want the TDI.

It depends mainly on the mileage she will do annually... and the surcharge they may ask you to pay to get a diesel.

The good thing is that with the 1.8T engine, you get close to the same low torque, do not have the high fuel consumption of the 2.5, so it is getting close between the two.

You will have to run the numbers to see what fits you best.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

How much more does the TDI cost? How many miles would you have to drive to get that money back? Typically TDI only makes sense if you drive a lot. Unless of course you just love the whole concept of diesel, which is fine, too.

Short commutes are also not good for a modern diesel. DPF will be stuck in regen, unless you take it for a longer drive every so often. Then again, short commutes are probably not good for a modern GDI engine either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back