Going Fully-Synthetic in my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kahlman79
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Quote:
I am settled on the motor oil.

Which one!? This Is BITOG, we have to know!

I have chosen the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Now to decide on whether I use the OEM filter from Mopar, or an aftermarket brand. So many decisions.

Good choice with Pennzoil!

For the filter there are a few good options that vary in price to meet your budget. In no particular order, here are a few that have served me well.

NAPA Gold / Wix
Fram Ultra
Mobil 1
Motorcraft

Ford FL820S or M0-899. Both good filters. I prefer the Fl820S as it costs less at walmart.

many here will probably tell you to run a Fram ultra.

Do people regularly use the Motorcraft oil filter on non-Ford vehicles?

Ford FL820S or M0-899. Both good filters. I prefer the Fl820S as it costs less at walmart.

Yes, I think they do.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I would suggest Mobil 1 and a Mopar filter. If you go aftermarket on the oil filter, Fram Ultra or Mobil 1.

Everybody recommends Mobil 1. How boring can you get ?

Quote:

I have chosen the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Now to decide on whether I use the OEM filter from Mopar, or an aftermarket brand. So many decisions.

Nice choice giving Pennzoil Ultra Platinum a try Kahlman79! Once you’ve had some time to test it out, feel free to leave a review about your experience: http://bit.ly/1sQEgpA
-The Pennzoil Team

For sure and motorcraft oil too.

Quote:

I think that's a great choice. Lotsa good filters to choose from. Motorcraft and wix bot use an in thread abv. I like that feature

Quote:

If you go with the OEM Filter (which I recommend) make sure you get the MO-339 NOT the MO-899. The MO-899 goes on some 5.7L Hemi's but NOT your 2014 Ram 5.7L. If you don't believe me, check your owner's guide.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would suggest Mobil 1 and a Mopar filter. If you go aftermarket on the oil filter, Fram Ultra or Mobil 1.

Everybody recommends Mobil 1. How boring can you get ?

If you have many vehicles boring is a good thing IMO...

Hello. I am looking to switch my truck's factory oil to full-synthetic. The truck has 7,000 miles on it so it will be the first oil change. I was just looking for recommendations on brands that would work well with my motor. it is the 5.7L HEMI motor
smile.gif

I was thinking of Redline, Royal Purple and Pennzoil.

Thank you all and have a great day.

The manufacturer recommends a 5W-20, depending on where you live (how cold does it get in the winter), you could use 0W-20.

As far as what brand of synthetic, since you appear to go 7K or more miles per oil change, I would use either Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Amsoil Signature Series. For the filter I would run either a Fram Ultra, Amsoil Ea, or Mobil 1 oil filter. I am not a Chrysler person so I don't know how good or bad the OEM Mopar oil filter is, others on this forum may be able to attest to their quality.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Just refilled mine today with more mobil 1 ep 0w20. 6500 miles oci.

If you are using Mobil 1 EP and a Fram Ultra filter, you can go a LOT longer than 6500 miles.

Originally Posted By: SR5
What weight oil does the manufacturer suggest ?

5W-20 according to the Amsoil application software.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Just refilled mine today with more mobil 1 ep 0w20. 6500 miles oci.

If you are using Mobil 1 EP and a Fram Ultra filter, you can go a LOT longer than 6500 miles.

Probably. But I don't know if I'm ready for that. I've got quite the stash left from the buck a quart sale at autozone.

I did drain and reuse the ultra filter.

Last edited:
Use any synthetic 5W20 oil that meets the Chrysler MS6395 specifications and you'll keep the Chrysler warranty people happy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back