2015 Chevy Silverado And Rotella T6 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
From everything I have read, GM is pretty adamant about their new Ecotec3 engines using 0W-20 oil.
What else are they going to say? If the rules say they have to recommend xW-20 they aren't going talk about others as being options or point out limitations of the recommended grade.

You know how many contractors I see pouring anything that's oil into GM engines if they are low? Straight 30, 15w40, whatever is around. Never seen one blow up because of the wrong oil. Now lack of oil is a bit of a problem.

Originally Posted By: stchman

People bash the new Ecotec3 for being a pushrod design and calling it old tech when in fact they are very advanced. With AFM, DI, and VVT, the new Ecotec3 is high up on the tech scale.

With a whole fleet of GM V8's we are fans, but the motor is not really that advanced. The only thing it has that is not widespread on american V8's is the DI system. Everything else has been on Chrysler's Hemi for a LONG time, around 10 years IIRC.

I personally love the huge sump the best as it means long maintenance intervals. The less I have to do to it means the more work it can be doing...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I personally love the huge sump the best as it means long maintenance intervals. The less I have to do to it means the more work it can be doing...

I was acutually wondering if the pans will fit the older non di 5.3's

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I was acutually wondering if the pans will fit the older non di 5.3's

I haven't checked, but since the 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 are basically all the same external dimensions they may fit!

For all of my sarcastic "WHY ARE YOU SHAKING YOUR HEAD" fans I have out there;
1) Does this truck come with an OLM equipped on it? I know in the past I have not been a fan of OLM's but, an old tiger CAN change his stripes when he does a great amount of research and learns new things. *****
2) Why does he not let the factory finish the last 3 of the first 4 OCI's they gave him for FREE?

***** I'm still keeping my current stripes about a new oil filter at every OCI.
"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
1) Does this truck come with an OLM equipped on it? I know in the past I have not been a fan of OLM's but, an old tiger CAN change his stripes when he does a great amount of research and learns new things. *****
2) Why does he not let the factory finish the last 3 of the first 4 OCI's they gave him for FREE?

"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

If one spends a bout 20 minutes reading how the OLM was developed and how it works one can find no reason to not trust the OLM. Other than-I have been doing it my way for 25 years......The only thing GM's OLM cannot account for is dusty driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

If one spends a bout 20 minutes reading how the OLM was developed and how it works one can find no reason to not trust the OLM. Other than-I have been doing it my way for 25 years......The only thing GM's OLM cannot account for is dusty driving conditions.

Has GM found a way to account for time. The OM states to never exceed a year under any conditions, not verbatim

I'm just glad that we have so many lubrication engineers on this site that know better than the people who developed the engines in these vehicles.

Everyone talks about CAFE being the reason that manufactures recommend the lighter weights these days but I have not seen any conclusive evidence that using the lighter weights are going to destroy your engine.

The reality is that most people will never wear out an engine regardless of what oil weight they use. Most people get rid of a vehicle way before the drive train wears out.

People can use whatever makes them happy and comfortable but I think this subject is way overthought and people worry about this subject needlessly.

Wayne

Wayne, you are spot on. The folks who have to warranty the engine are not experiencing any rash of failures or you can bet they'd change that spec promptly.

Most of our GM fleet runs both oil and transmission fluid through radiator heat exchangers, thus both warming up fluids quickly and cooling them well in the summer. We get ridiculously long lifespans from them with very little maintenance or work required.

Since most of our service vans are 3500 models they take 30w, but I've even heard my friends make remarks about how we should use 20w-50...

I really don't think that any of the car manufactures have anything to gain by recommending an oil viscosity that is going to prematurely wear out their engines regardless of CAFE requirements.

How many manufacturers have back speced a lighter oil viscosity for their older vehicles who no longer fall under any CAFE requirements. They must have confidence in the quality of the lighter oils.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I'm just glad that we have so many lubrication engineers on this site that know better than the people who developed the engines in these vehicles.

Everyone talks about CAFE being the reason that manufactures recommend the lighter weights these days but I have not seen any conclusive evidence that using the lighter weights are going to destroy your engine.

The reality is that most people will never wear out an engine regardless of what oil weight they use. Most people get rid of a vehicle way before the drive train wears out.

People can use whatever makes them happy and comfortable but I think this subject is way overthought and people worry about this subject needlessly.

Wayne

Wayne, first of all, great name.
wink.gif

Second, is that 1970 Monte Carlo an SS model? If not, does it at least have a 454 or even a stout 350 in it?
About my cousins new Chevy, I could care less if he uses Maple syrup as his choice of oil. I just find it very odd, esp. for him, not to get the rest of his 4 FREE OCI's. And, if he has an OLM, why not take advantage of it?
BTW, I have Chevy Orange coursing through my veins!
19.gif

I can see going to a 5w-30 dexos1 oil in a 0w-20 app like that, to get the added hydrodynamic lubrication. -40 is probably just a waste of gasoline here.

Originally Posted By: wtd

Wayne

I've been saying something similar all along.

When I was a kid , Dad used straight 20W Gulf oil in the car , winter / summer . He was happy . But , he traded cars at about 70,000 miles .

God bless
Wyr

Aren't old SAE20 oils basicily like modern 30? That would still be a fine oil today down south if anyone made a modern one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back