Dodge Stratus smoking after severe overheat

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it runs at idle for 15 minutes without overheating, and if you drive it around for another 15 minutes without overheating, then you won the lottery. otherwise let us know how that works.

Originally Posted By: Avery4
I think it is OK, because it still starts and runs great. At first, it just clicked and did not crank, but after a couple tries, it started right up. It runs exactly like before. No knocking or anything. The oil remaining smelled very burnt, but had surprisingly little metal in it. I do not know what saved it, maybe the Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic oil, maybe the 4 ounces of 2 cycle oil I add to the gas at every fill up to all my cars that might have kept it from seizing or scoring, maybe a combination of the things. Or maybe plain luck. Either way, it is AMAZING that it survived. It is a Dodge after all.

50.gif

Got it so hot that the oil filler cap melted and paint on the hood peeled, but that cast iron block and aluminum head 4 cyl engine is running better than before! Not a chance we're being trolled!

Originally Posted By: Avery4
Big problem. My 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4L blew a radiator hose and started smoking, not steaming. There was smoke coming from under the hood. The oil cap melted. The temp gauge was pegged, the temp light was on and the oil pressure light was on. It was still running great though. I drove home, about 1/4 of a mile. I opened the hood and the oil cap was melted and rad hose blown. The paint on top of the engine was smoking. Is there anything I should do besides let it cool down, refill with oil and water and see if it runs? Is the 2.4l Dodge Stratus engine well made and likely to survive
?

You drove the car a lot more than a 1/4-mile with it overheated. For the oil cap to have melted and the paint on the engine to be smoking, it was running hot for a long time. You only noticed the problem when the radiator hose blew.

If you haven't had issues, you soon will. Headgasket, cracked head, oil consumption, hopefully you will learn the hard way not to drive when the engine is in melt down mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back