Diesel Oil in a Gasoline Passenger Car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advantage to that ? I notice alotta guys on here running diesel oil in their passenger cars. One dude is even running Mobil Delvac in his Infinity. I can understand the need for added zinc and phosphorous in older cars with flat bottom lifters, but there's guys on here running it with their roller lifters too. There's gotta be something I'm missing. Clue me in.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Any advantage to that ? I notice alotta guys on here running diesel oil in their passenger cars. One dude is even running Mobil Delvac in his Infinity. I can understand the need for added zinc and phosphorous in older cars with flat bottom lifters, but there's guys on here running it with their rollerized valve train. There's gotta me something I'm missing. Clue me in.
smile.gif

I am going to assume you arent trolling.
You are using the wrong words. That is mixed fleet oil or if you prefer HDEO Heavy duty engine oil.

there is also some Diesel only oil.

If a car specs a 40wt oil as appropriate there is no reason not to. Personal choice.

I currently have some T5 10w30 in the accent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

OK but why ? What's Rotella T5 do for your Hyundai's engine that regular Shell won't ?

There's gotta be something I'm missing.

I just looked at Rotella 15W40. It is dual rated for gas and diesel engines, and carries a SM oil rating which means it can safely be used in 2010 and older gas powered cars that called for a SM rated oil.

Is this question REALLY coming from a person with 11500 POSTS on this board??!!

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Is this question REALLY coming from a person with 11500 POSTS on this board??!!

It's something I've been thinking about lately. One dude even told me that ILSAC rated oils are for girly men.

That one dude... You should know his name
smile.gif

Is Garak. And yes Merk, you certainly can run a dual rated oil in some cars. Like Rand said he is running the T5 Rotella in his car. Just make sure your manual specifies a API SM or SN oil. There are more options for the SM version versus the SN.
By the way... You are still the MAN !
25.gif

Well, Merk, I'm avoiding thin ILSAC grades that you claim to dislike.
wink.gif

Really, there's not a lot of mystery, at least in my case. I had a box leftover from the Audi 200 period, so I decided to give it a shot. I ran the idea past a certain esteemed member here who's had a lot of experience with this family of lubes, and he suggested it would be a fine choice. The price is actually very good, too, up here, so I've stuck with it ever since.

It does meet the manual specifications for the G37 in other countries. It's a modern lube with an SM rating, so there's no concern on that front. The extra zinc and phosphorous are there, but not ridiculously so; it's not a racing oil. XOM recommends it for high performance gasoline engines, too. The best part is staying out of Walmart and Canadian Tire, where one falls victim to their predatory pricing or chases their silly sales. I haven't bought a jug of oil from either of those places in about three years now.

I ran the 15w-40 Mobile Delvac in my 2004 Hemi for over 100k miles with no issues...stared using it when I noticed the drivetrain getting a little noisy after 100k miles or so (you know those Hemis love to talk).

It usually meets specs for gasoline engines too.

I've got Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 in the 1970 VW Beetle. It's happy as a clam.

What about cleaning ? I've heard some guys say diesel oils are loaded to the hilt with detergents. Does a diesel oil clean as well as a synthetic ?

One dude even told me that ILSAC rated oils are for girly men.

That certainly wasn't me; I stated that if someone considers a 5w-30 ILSAC too thin, a 10w-30 ILSAC isn't the solution.
wink.gif

As for cleaning, yes, they tend to be good. As for which is better in that regard, a synthetic or an HDEO, well, I'm running a synthetic HDEO, and a real PAO one at that. In any case, I certainly wasn't worried about the ability of the PYB I was previously using to keep matters clean.

I used a lot of Delvac 1300 15w-40 (and MaxLife 5w-30) to get the old F-150 cleaned out prior to the rebuild. Whether it was the Delvac, the MaxLife, or the frequent OCIs, it did clean up nicely. The oil galleries were still plugged up, but that was shoddy maintenance from a previous owner.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That certainly wasn't me; I stated that if someone considers a 5w-30 ILSAC too thin, a 10w-30 ILSAC isn't the solution.
wink.gif

I might have been paraphrasing a little bit.
grin2.gif

What happens to a diesel engine when it's being subjected to a gasoline PCMO ?

What happens to a diesel engine when it's being subjected to a gasoline PCMO ?

It's a bit hard to compare

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/588467/Re:_Nissan_Navara_TD_Castrol_M#Post588467

That's my turbodiesel on Magnatec SP 5W40, it was SL/CF, like a lot of them.

But it's also A3/B4, which the ILSAC oils aren't.

Merk, I'm going to start a crowd funding campaign here to get you a diesel truck. Having instantly black oil will drive you up the wall.
wink.gif

As for PCMO in a diesel, well, Shannow basically covered it. If you have some old stuff in the shed or garage, you might see things like SE/CD, SF/CD, or something like that in what we'd consider a PCMO grade in North America, like 10w-30 or 10w-40. Then, you'll remember that energy conserving grades came out, and automakers started calling for people to use those, and those didn't have the diesel rating and would be thinner on the HTHS side of things. A few, like RP, at least had the SL/CF thing on their older 10w-40, too. I don't know what their current 10w-40 states.

Even back before that, my dad stuck to "real HDEO" Esso XD-3 in 15w-40 for summer and 10w-30 for winter use in the diesels, and the "dual rated" PCMO 10w-30 (Quaker State) for the gassers. He never did like the notion of a formal HDEO in a gasser because of it being thicker than the PCMO counterpart, for fuel savings, even though it was a rather small amount. With fleet usage, though, it certainly was worth it to stick to the PCMOs. The taxi fleet was in place throughout the introduction of energy conserving type lubes, and they were used as soon as they were available.

OK but why ? What's Rotella T5 do for your Hyundai's engine that regular Shell won't ?

I am using helix ultra diesel 5w40 in both Hyundai's (turbodiesel and gasoline one)

1) I is simplier that way....thus I can buy only one type of oil...and I can combine leftovers after OCI...

2) diesel oil is more robust...so there is no (or less) oil consumption (althou both engines are not burning oil)

3) diesel oil has more detergents in it...so engine is cleaner...

4) ......

Are you a "regular Shell" dealer?

First, let's define "Diesel oil". Then, perhaps, we can discuss what may cause the sky to fall if we use an oil rated for gas, Diesel, and motorbike use in our gas powered vehicles. I've yet to see a label which days "For combustion ignition ONLY" on a jug of oil, but THAT I wouldn't use in my spark ignition vehicles. I've got some old cans of Castrol 20W 50 which say "CD" on them. One could say THAT was using GAS oil in a Diesel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back