Removing varnish during a rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If it were my build, that engine would be clean enough to eat off of before going back together.

+1

Originally Posted By: Trav
If it were my build, that engine would be clean enough to eat off of before going back together. That is just me, and I like to spend the time to make it look perfect.

+1 I want it like new.

Likewise here. My BIL's machine shop has a "clean room" with totally immaculate tools, etc., for assembly. They run their place like a hospital. Honestly, their rebuilds are far better than new...

We used to tank everything being rebuilt back in the day. Calling parts that came out of the tank would be an understatement.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If it were my build, that engine would be clean enough to eat off of before going back together.

+1

While agreeing in principal, that means a complete teardown, and reassembly with assembly lube.

try and clean it up assembled, and you will make it all worse.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Another reason to change oil a bit before the manufactures recommended OCI. It is a little to far to go with that oil in that engine.

That won't change the results at all. Castrol is a very robust oil. this isn't an OCI issue. This is just what happens to engines that run exclusively castrol oils in the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: jyoung8607
Originally Posted By: philipp10
if you ask me, it doesn'nt look like enough to worry about. Why bother, the motor won't run better.

If the motor was together and running, I'd tweak OCIs or run a maintenance dose of something and not worry about it much. But, the motor is apart. I can't put it back together like that.

while cleaning you have the potential to cause damage....just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back