Best synthetic oil for air cooled small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been using Maxlife Full Syn 10w-30 for the last few years in my Chonda. Purrs like a real Honda. Using it because of its ultra low NOACK in the Mid 6's. Best part is that it was free because of a Amazon screwup, and they didn't want it back.

What kind of availability do you guys up in Canada have for Shell products? To me, it seems like Mobil is the winner in terms of availability.
21.gif

Shell is readily available if you're in the right place. Petro-Canada, Imperial Oil, and Co-op win when it comes to most rural places for distributors. The regular retail availability of Shell stuff is very good, though.

Op

I've got 16 Honda powered air compressors and 6 generators that vary from 3000 to 6500 watts.
In the summer I use Rotella conventional and change it every 100 hours. Winter I use supertech pails of 5w-30.
In 20 years I have yet to wear out an engine. Had one of the generators siezed because the oil alert didn't work and it ran without oil however that's not wearing out.
That siezed generator is still in use today. I broke the crank loose with a big wrench and have used mos2 ever since. Doesn't burn much oil. Siezed up 10 years or so ago.
What I'm saying is any of today's SJ or newer spec oils will lead to long engine life. I use hdeo in the summer because they never shut off til the end of day and they get hot.

It took me 20 minutes to pick out
2 liters of engine oil for my
John Deere 320X (22HP), that has
racked up 28 hours in 3 years.

Out with the Duron 0W40, which won't
go to waste, and in goes 10W40
Castrol Grand Prix motorcycle oil.
(Next year...big cam and nitrous)

I don't use the tiny JD oil filters.
I snapped off the plastic shroud
so the next filter size up would fit.

Bosch 3330 the last time, Purolator
PSL 10241, on for $6.00 at Wal-Mart
this time.

The oil is SG, other than that, all I know
its a 10W40 and likely high saps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyMerrill
Grade A Light Amber Maple Syrup

I see you are not of the "heavier is better school".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hermann
Have been using Maxlife Full Syn 10w-30 for the last few years in my Chonda. Purrs like a real Honda. Using it because of its ultra low NOACK in the Mid 6's. Best part is that it was free because of a Amazon screwup, and they didn't want it back.

SCORE !!!
How much MaxLife did you get for free ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back