Alcohol And Ambition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting to the point to where I can't get much done without a drink. Is that a sign of something wrong. Thoughts.

Hold on...[sip] ahh, what were you saying?

Oh, if this is a serious question, yes, get some help.

If its Friday after work and you need a drink to relax - no worries.
cheers3.gif

Generally a post like this means you're 9/10 of the way, wherever you're going. I'd open a phone book, find "Friends of Bill".

Get medical assistance before stopping cold turkey. Depending on you normal BAC, suddenly stopping can cause seizures, possible death. That is what killed Amy Winehouse.

It all depends. Only you can answer that question. Do you feel like it's a problem. If you do then it is a problem.
However if you aren't missing work or dereliction of duties,and you aren't hurting anyone(except self health) and it makes you feel better then have at er.

I used to drink and party hard up until a few years ago. I spent 20 years pickled then just lost the taste for booze. Even today I can't stomach more than a couple beers however I do like certain bourbons and scotch neat,but never more than a couple. I lose interest once I start catching a buzz.
I guess because I was always buzzed now sobriety is the buzz. I don't like not being in complete control either. But that's just me. Somewhere along the way I got old.

Simply put if you think it's a problem then it is.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Hold on...[sip] ahh, what were you saying?

Oh, if this is a serious question, yes, get some help.

If its Friday after work and you need a drink to relax - no worries.
cheers3.gif

I agree with this post, but if you have any thoughts that you might have a problem please DO take that next step and seek help from a counselor. I agree with another post above stating that it sounds like you are 9/10 of the way to where you need to be by recognizing a potential problem.

That said, I love to enjoy a beer or two while tackling work at home, but I also am productive without
smile.gif

Have another beer and get to work. LOL
Seriously, if you are asking yourself if you have a problem then its time to do something about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
It's getting to the point to where I can't get much done without a drink. Is that a sign of something wrong. Thoughts.

What does your wife say about your drinking ?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Have another beer and get to work. LOL

crackmeup2.gif

I don't think it's necessary a drinking problem. I was thinking maybe something else. I'm just not sure.

I love a good buzz. After nearly a 1/2 century of messing with intoxicants, I have a good handle on booze. I like to party, I only over serve myself with minders present or at home. And then only under specific time constraints.I don't have the time to be be drinking to the level of which I like to drink. So I don't much anymore. OP, if you are maintenance dosing just to function, then you have a problem.

If this is truly the case then yes I would say you have a problem. Also, I don't drink.

............I can't get much done without a drink.........

That's an interesting way of stating what you suspect is a problem with alcohol. Most people who drink to excess are not concerned with getting things done, they are focused on needing and having a drink. It's the "getting things done" part of their lives that usually suffers because of drinking. What is it exactly you think you can't get done without drinking?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I drink zero alcohol so its easy for me to say stop cold turkey.

Maybe you need help.

I'm the same way. I quite drinking alcohol for two reasons:

1. I can't jump in my car and drive whenever I want to
2. They don't make good tasting beer anymore

My problem is totally opposite with yours. I can't get anything done with a sip of any alcohol.

The last time I had 1 full beer was more than 5-6 years ago. Once in a while(may be 6-7 months) I had 5-6 oz beer from my wife bottle, and I couldn't do anything other than lay down.

I have a mental disorder. It is called dysthymia. I call it laziness. A few beers motivates me to do my chores. And my honey-dos. Does this sound like you situation? If a few counseling sessions will cure my disorder I may not need a few beers to motivate me any more. If I need counseling for the life, then I'll suspend counseling and continue drinking beer. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back