1157 LED recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some 1157 LED recommendations, for a motorcycle taillight that contains two bulbs.

This bulb is highly recommended in a thread on the KZ forums but it is a few years old.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo...trofit-car/808/

I found a few other bulbs that may work.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo...rofit-car/1092/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo...trofit-car/922/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo...t-car/923/2274/

I like these because of the flasher, but don't want to pay $40 for two light bulbs.

I am not sure exactly how many lumens I need.

These devices are only going to get better with time. There are still problems with light out monitor systems and turn signal flashers (Superbright will sell you a solid state flasher which is not affected by low current draw) but the lifespan is very long and the colors bright.
The Superbright site will tell you where a product stands with regard to the bulb it replaces in terms of lumens, but the pattern on the LEDs may be different. On my Camry, the bulbs I picked for side markers are MUCH brighter.

Remember that the lamp output for rear, brake, and side marker lamps is regulated by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (new vehicles) and most jurisdictions require some, if not all, compliance to FMVSS for existing on-road use.

These regulations limit brightness to certain maximums in the "red" lamps; in other words a too-bright brake lamp is illegal, a dimmer than 1157 may not be.

Last edited:
Just purchased SuperBrightLEDs yesterday. Been using LED replacements for 5 years and even am using a 12V computer red LED bar to replace the bulbs inside my stop light. Anyhow...

Only buy LEDs for your brake light or interior light. They do light up much faster and even in my ghetto testing. A $90 Canon camera videoing at 30 FPS. Not only do LEDs do come on faster, but they reach full brightness far more quickly than incandescent. After doing the math at 65mph, with a car behind you, assuming they see your light and hit the brake at full brightness it translated to a difference of 17ft... or basically slightly more than one car length.

Regardless, I still only recommend LEDs for brake lights that do not have 'bulb light out' or interior lights that do not do the fancy slow dim when you close the door.

Also double check the specs from superbrightleds for the color that you buy. When you sort by brightness, it is sorted by the brightest overall, usually the blueish-white color. For brake lights you want the brightest red and after digging into the specification when I ordered yesterday, good news, it wasn't the most expensive one but ended being one that was on clearance.

Last edited:
I would also look towards the Superbright 1157's with the multiple led's. I have them in most of the cars in my signature.

Two cautions from my experience:
1) Led's do have different optics than incandescents (and modern automotive lamps are pretty highly engineered) so make sure they work well w/ your individual taillight. I find that they work better and are a vast improvement in "primitive" lamps such as my old Land Rovers, but were not as effective in my TR6.
2) Probably not an issue on a motorcycle but the led's cause minor to moderate interference with weak FM stations in my 90. The antenna position on my tuck, adjacent to the tail/stop light, probably contributes to this.

Now the first source I found online says that incan 1157 is rated for approx 400 lumens at 12.8vdc on high. Just FWIW.

I have bought lots of bulbs from superbrightleds.com
There are many options and brightness.

Check out the angles, placement of LEDS on the bulb, color, etc.

4w_normal_dash.jpg

green_led_dash.jpg

led_tail_and_brake_lights.jpg

LED_tailights.jpg

including this little third brake light
LED_brake_light.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back