NYC and Knife Carrying - Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning to any BITOGers who find themselves in the police state of NYC.

I found myself in NYC for work for a construction project and decided to drive to the train station and took a train into Grand Central Terminal very early in the morning. I was walking into the Subway in Grand Central to catch the 6 train to head downtown and I was approached from behind by an undercover NYPD officer who showed me his badge and asked me if that was my knife in my pocket. I looked at it not sure what was happening and I confirmed it was mine. (the knife is a 3.5" folding knife with lockable blade). I always carry a knife with me since I routinely need one for the nature of my work. The officer told me not to move and removed it from my pocket and three other undercover police officers surrounded me. They then proceeded to question where I was going and asked for my ID. The police officer tried to open the blade and was checking to see if it would open with one hand. Regardless they told me it was against the law and basically they could arrest me despite not being able to open the blade with one hand after trying 10-15 times with all their force. I explained I was not from the city which they confirmed with my ID. Long story short I apologized and explained I wasn't aware that a simple folding knife was against the law. The officer took a photo of my driver's license with his phone (apparently to file some kind of report) and sent me on my way.

Anyways, 60,000 New Yorkers have been arrested over the last decade over "gravity knives" which NYC defines as a knife that can be opened by gravity or "centrifugal force." Apparently they don't understand that you could apply enough centrifugal force to anything and it would open or come apart. Then again, I wasn't about to argue physics with a man who could throw me in prison for 1 year.

Lesson to those poor working souls who travel into NYC and work in an occupation where carrying around sharp tools is a crime. If a police officer sees a clip on your pocket which could be a knife you will be potentially arrested.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/arti...rticle-1.155163

Last edited:
yep, Oz is exactly the same.

Doesn't stop people getting shot by hangbangers with Glocks that have never been sold to the public, or blown up in their yard, however

Originally Posted By: GMFan
The police officer tried to open the blade and was checking to see if it would open with one hand.

Until the blade is fully locked, that blade could've sprung back and cut his finger.

Makes me asks what the [censored] has happened to america? I've carried a pocket knife since i was 9 or 10

This country is headed for the trash heap.
There are more draconian laws in NY in addition to this.

Last edited:
Sounds like that Police man has himself an awesome knife collection!

Are they allowed to take your personal property without a receipt?
They take your knife and take a picture of your ID and then what?
Do you get placed in their database?
What is their due process?

And this supposed to keep people safer or just give police gestapo like power. Really, I can not see how any city can pass laws that interfere with "Rights" of the "Constitution". Which clearly states "Right to Keep and Bear Arms". I am not against Cities or States for that matter making laws, I even encourage it, but they should not be able to block rights of our constitution and that is where it is going to get ugly one of these days.

He committed-and got away with-armed robbery and extortion under color of law. Wonder how much he has gotten from selling the knives he has stolen over the years.............

I wonder if, the way the law is written, a $2 utility knife with the segmented snap-off blade would be illegal. It opens with one hand, after all.

I carry a 3" blade Spyderco everywhere I go. I have been told to leave a few places when they spied the clip on my pocket. (security guards). But I take it on Base where I work every single day without question.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky. When I hang paper in NYC I will take the train in on day two of the job and until the day before completion. We take the van in to set up and off load when the job is done. We carry knives, box cutters, razors and Ulfa Knives w/o issues on the LIRR and subway.

one handed or a one handed flick.

Almost every knife can be opened one handed with a thumb stud or whatever they call that.

I pocket carry on my off days.

Last edited:
From what I know its a 50 or 60+ year old law, nothing recent, that has been increasingly enforced/utilized in recent years. Some (much) of the controversy around the law is it's involvement in stop and frisk.

What a joke. Find some real criminals.......Good people trying to protect themselves are the criminals?

What is with the assault on people just carrying something for work, or something to protect themselves from maniacs.
The time that is wasted on trivial things, could be better spent on somebody with evil intentions.

What's the law say there if you're headed to work with a tool belt on with hammer, awl, pry bar, etc.? Carrying a tool box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back