Tesla Model S now capable of 0-60 in 2.8 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get to drive the Tesla "D" model from time to time. First thing, it's stinkin' fast. Second thing, it has about 300 miles range, not 200. We've driven to Miami and back 100+ miles each way, with AC on and not bothering to drive carefully. Had 90 miles remaining.

The new upgrade not only improves the launch, but also increases the maximum allowable current flow. Knocking nearly 8 tenth's of a second off the 1/4 mile time. Down to 10.9 seconds.

Also, much of the "drag race" energy is recovered while slowing after a drag strip run. So it's a very efficient drag racer!

As far as cornering and braking, it's got big tires and even bigger brakes. The low center of gravity means it can be tossed around without unusual transitions. It's simply a rock solid car with excellent suspension components. The cornering power and handling are superb.

May want to watch this to see how they actually handle:
(max lateral G, 1.2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm3ZoyYih4g

Last edited:
Has Tesla started offering the "Roomba" option yet? I want the ability to park the car and walk away without me having to plug it in. I want the Tesla to charge itself without driver/owner having to do a single thing aka valet charging in my own garage. Heck if $200 Roomba can charge itself by docking to the charge station on its own, there is no reason why $120K Tesla can't do that!

I do not want to get up in the morning and yell at my wife" You forgot to plug the Tesla in!"

Why drive a Tesla hotrod when you can spend a bunch of money on a new Dodge Hellcat fire-breathing belching lurching polluting monster and keep the middle east awash in oil money?
34.gif

if they really wanted, they could; Tesla has the ability to replace the entire battery pack extremely quickly using the robots. With billions of cash in bank and access to any technology that he wants, the only thing which might prevent this from happening would be the specific rule preventing battery swap during the race.

Well, if the procedure would be feasible during the race from a time and space perspective, that would be interesting. However, there would likely be a rule prohibiting it, and rightly so, unless it's in a prototype class. After all, the GT classes are similar enough to the road going versions. You fill them with fuel. You don't remove the empty fuel tank and strap in a new, full fuel tank. You charge a Tesla; you don't replace its battery packs when the charge is low.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
As far as cornering and braking, it's got big tires and even bigger brakes. The low center of gravity means it can be tossed around without unusual transitions. It's simply a rock solid car with excellent suspension components. The cornering power and handling are superb.

(max lateral G, 1.2)

A great vid. They handle just fine. But a 5000 pound car?

Also, you may not have noticed they can only be driven HARD for less than a minute. They quickly overheat and pull amperage to cool down...

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, if the procedure would be feasible during the race from a time and space perspective, that would be interesting. However, there would likely be a rule prohibiting it, and rightly so, unless it's in a prototype class. After all, the GT classes are similar enough to the road going versions. You fill them with fuel. You don't remove the empty fuel tank and strap in a new, full fuel tank. You charge a Tesla; you don't replace its battery packs when the charge is low.

Actually Tesla, wants to have that feature available for customers. A 90sec battery swap. Just still working on getting it to market.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tesla+battery+swap+locations

Tesla is killing battery swap program because not many owners like it. A facility to serve 2-3(or less) customers a day can't be opened for long.

Quote:
When Tesla sent out an initial round of about 200 invitations to test the battery swap program only about four to five people opted to try it, Musk told shareholders at Tesla’s annual meeting Tuesday at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif. And each of those respondents used the swap service just once.

“It’s clearly not very popular,” Musk said.

Even though Tesla has since invited all Model S owners in California to try the battery swap program, Musk expects the entire customer base will behave similarly to the initial sample group.

“People don’t care about pack swap,” Musk said. “The superchargers are fast enough. Based on what we’re seeing here, it’s unlikely to be something that’s worth expanding in the future unless something changes.”

http://fortune.com/2015/06/10/teslas-battery-swap-is-dead/

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Cujet

(max lateral G, 1.2)

A great vid. They handle just fine. But a 5000 pound car?

Also, you may not have noticed they can only be driven HARD for less than a minute. They quickly overheat and pull amperage to cool down...

I do know this. From what I understand, this differs between models. Clearly, the cooling system is not designed for track use. However it does seem that the cars can be modified with larger heat exchangers if necessary.

Tesla didn't have much experience building performance car, they are improving the performance of model S by the month, the deficiencies are probably being addressed now.

how about the N'ring time? If it is great, we will be told "it does not matter; what does it prove?" If the numbers are not spectacular, we will be told "See, I knew it was not a good car!"

Originally Posted By: Vikas
how about the N'ring time? If it is great, we will be told "it does not matter; what does it prove?" If the numbers are not spectacular, we will be told "See, I knew it was not a good car!"

I guess they could build a model with 2 speed gear boxes for 200+mph top speed and enough cooling for a full throttle lap around the ring. It would be interesting I guess, but I don't think it would affect sales enough to be worth the effort.

I care about Model S lap times about as much as my trucks lap times.

Who cares? Its great on the normal road doing normal car things.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I care about Model S lap times about as much as my trucks lap times.

Who cares? Its great on the normal road doing normal car things.
Do you care about 0-60 times?

Track times are very interesting to most true car enthusiasts. The true handling dynamics of a typical car are seldom exposed in traffic or commuting. Track experience reveals the shortcomings and compromises that are present in almost any car.

Tesla is being touted as a "performance" car. Straight line numbers are just one of many aspects of a typical high end car's envelope...

Our roads are awful up here, I care about comfort.

Carving on a nice road is not realistic. Sitting in traffic inching along is more realistic. How well will it soak up massive pot holes, how good is the AC and radio?

0-60 times? Why, the idiot in front of me is accelerating like a 220D Mercedes down a cylinder because they are to busy doing everything else but driving. Besides if I did try a 0-60 shot chances of getting a ticket are high, followed by increased insurance for the next decade.

Last edited:
Model S was designed as a 4-dr luxury sedan, not a track car. The acceleration(0-60MPH and quarter mile) happens to be very good for an EV car, and they keep improve the performance over time.

Look at model S buyer profiles, most of them are not car racer. They care more about comfort than acceleration, if they didn't buy model S they probably would buy MB S-class or BMW 7 series ... There are many model S driving around in So Cal, they are driven just like other full size luxury sedans.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Our roads are awful up here, I care about comfort.

Carving on a nice road is not realistic. Sitting in traffic inching along is more realistic. How well will it soak up massive pot holes, how good is the AC and radio?

0-60 times? Why, the idiot in front of me is accelerating like a 220D Mercedes down a cylinder because they are to busy doing everything else but driving. Besides if I did try a 0-60 shot chances of getting a ticket are high, followed by increased insurance for the next decade.

I'm from CT, some of the most fun backroads anywhere.

As I've mentioned before, the Tesla has very high quality suspension components. It's a car that does it all, and does it all very well. It's ride is easily on par with other similarly priced cars. That is to say, excellent.

As far as 0-60 (or 0-30) the rate of acceleration is most likely not a ticket-able offense. Unless you spin tires or drive recklessly.

The AWD Tesla Model D will not spin tires. So, it simply jumps to speed, with zero drama. It's silly-fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back