steering wheel vibration at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
V6 RAV4 is my daily driver currently. Fine car except for the one annoyance. you don't see the vibration, but feel it in the hands only when stopped in D and engine idling ~750rpm. i thought V6 should have less vibration than 4-cyl engines?
where the vibration is coming from BTW? it's not like steering wheel is directly connected to the engine. resonance?

BTW, it's 2006 V6 RAV4 AWD with low miles (55000) and in top shape. No engine codes, etc.

Possibly a motor mount. My Accord did the same thing and the front mount was cracked.

Does using the AC exacerbate the vibration?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i thought V6 should have less vibration than 4-cyl engines?

A well designed V6, yes. A toyota V6? lol...

Originally Posted By: horse123

jerks need not reply here.

Has nothing to do with it being a V6 Vs 4cyl. My old 4cyl Camry idless so vibration free that a have to check the tachometer sometimes to see that's it's actually rinning.check Motor mounts.

Which Toyota V6 are you referring to (made in the last 10 years ) as in my experience they are some of the best around.

i've been driving this daily for several months, so small changes are hard to notice, but recently it bothers me more than i remember in the past. my hands are very sensitive to vibrations and any longer use of hand held power tools is uncomfortable to me.
some other people (like my wife who drove it in the past) probably would not notice.
the main reason i'm asking about this is V6. if this was I4, i would just assume it was normal.

BTW, this is 3.5L 2GR-FE. engine mounts (not sure if one or more) were replaced under 20,000 miles ago when tranny was replaced under warranty for whining noise.

Did you check the oil level?? I overfilled by about a half of a quart during an oil change once but it was enough to create a noticeable vibration in the wheel. Wasn't really noticeable when you were under way and not stopped. I drained the additional oil and everything went back to normal. It was a small 4 cylinder and not a six so it's probably not applicable but I thought I'd mention it.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Possibly a motor mount. My Accord did the same thing and the front mount was cracked.

Does using the AC exacerbate the vibration?

yes it does. this is probably why i noticed it more lately. it has been 95+F everyday in the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I overfilled by about a half of a quart during an oil change once but it was enough to create a noticeable vibration in the wheel.

interesting and good to know. but oil is just under the full level where i typically keep it.

If you honestly believe that Toyota does not make a good V6 (or I4 / V8 for that matter)...I strongly encourage that you do some research. Hond/ota make some of the best engines ever produced.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

If you honestly believe that Toyota does not make a good V6 (or I4 / V8 for that matter)...I strongly encourage that you do some research. Hond/ota make some of the best engines ever produced.

A good engine? Yes. Some of the best ever produced? No.

No one can help the fact that you're not willing to admit a eco family budget car brand does not have refined engines other than their small 4 cylinders.

No one can help the fact that you're not willing to admit a eco family budget car brand does not have refined engines other than their small 4 cylinders.

This is simply not true. Your not fooling anybody. OP, if there are no CEL's I doubt there is a problem unless there is a cracked or failed engine mount. Im not sure how harsh the vibration is but if its not that noticeable I doubt there is an issue.

Try a bottle of Techron or Redline SI-1 first for a couple of tanks, an injector that is getting dirty will do this. its cheap enough and wont harm anything and you don’t have to get your hands dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back