Anyone ever put an automotive filter on a lawn mow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a 6.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine on my walk behind lawn mower and it has an oil filter a bit smaller diameter than a the filters that go on my cars. The replacement costs a bit more than the high end auto filters. Is there an alternative?

Thanks

I have a Snapper riding mower with a B&S 14hp engine that has an oil filter.
Napa has a Napa Gold oil filter for this application (made by Wix, great filter) and I got a couple in the spring during their Napa Gold filter sale.

I think it was under $5.00.
Different Napa stores have different times they run this sale.
I think it's done in spring and fall, but I could be wrong, they don't consult me regarding these sales.

Yep
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, once you figure out what can cross they work just fine. I actually have a PH16 equivalent Napa Silver on my lawn tractor right now, looks huge on there! Boosted the capacity a good bit too hee hee.

I have the same motor on my Toro. I use a Napa Gold 1394. If you want cheap buy a Napa Silver 31394 or a Napa ProSelect 21394. I would buy the Gold since the filter sits upside down and the Gold has a silicon ADBV. I change mine once a season and use Rotella T5 10w30.

Dave

Yep, I use the same filter on our Kawasaki V twin as I use on my Toyota PU.
I fact the automotive filter is a little longer and much, much easier to change.

I use both 3614 and oversized 3600's on my 17 hp B&S without a problem.
I never use a mower filter because they are overpriced.

My Cub Cadet with the 22 HP Kohler Command Pro has seen a steady nothing but Motorcraft FL-400s filters over the last 4 or 5 years. They are slightly larger than the Kohler filters and push the fill to exactly 2 quarts. This overfills the engine with the Kohler filter. They are a good filter with a great price at Wally World.

Didn't know it would be that easy, went on the cross reference site and got what I was lookin for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back