Any and everyone with 200,000 miles on a vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting to Prescott is hardly flat...you do realize that the last 100 miles or so is a 4000+' climb, right? (Phoenix is at ~1150', Prescott is 5400'.)

I calculate the engine was spinning just short of 3000RPM at 85MPH. (235/70R15 tires, 2.73 axle gears, ~2850 driveshaft RPM, plus TC slippage)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Getting to Prescott is hardly flat...you do realize that the last 100 miles or so is a 4000+' climb, right? (Phoenix is at ~1150', Prescott is 5400'.)

I calculate the engine was spinning just short of 3000RPM at 85MPH. (235/70R15 tires, 2.73 axle gears, ~2850 driveshaft RPM, plus TC slippage)
Going to Prescott is hilly, but it isn't that hilly. I've driven there and back every week for the past 5 weeks.

It also only gets to maybe 100-105 in the hills

I had a car like that. Two things: It was obsolete and therefore dangerous by the time it got to that mileage. Actually it was kind of a safety scandal from day one.

The other thing was its cosmetic appearance. Believe it or not, M-1 does absolutely nothing for the appearance of a car.

Lesson learned. Pay a little bit of attention to the appearance and maybe obsess a little less about oil changes.

Just under 300k on my '05 Civic VP. Still original clutch and going strong. 5k oil changes at Valvoline Instant Oil Change (yeah, I know, but back and knee problems prohibit me from DIY). Once my daily driver, now used strictly as a winter car driving 55 miles each way to work over two mountains. Uses 1/4" quart oil between changes. Mechanically its still very strong, but the interior is worn out (drivers armest broken, trunk pull release in car is broken (need to use pliers), drivers outside door lock sometimes works, sometimes not.

Its great having a reliable beater car. All the pelting with cinder and gravel chips on the roads here in the winter, I don't need to worry about. Its got plenty of stone chips and tiny rust spots but nothing serious. It will need its next timing belt soon, other than that, I don't anticipate any serious problems coming up. Once it has the new belt and the airbag recall replacement, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Still well over 40 mpg.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
85+MPH in 115 degree heat is "mild" driving? I want some of what you're smokin'!

It is actually pretty mild because you have a lot of air going through the radiator.

I drove through Las Vegas once at around that speed with a broken radiator fan relay (and probably already a bad head gasket middle of the way because of the stop and go overheating too). The engine temp is fine at that speed, but when you stop at local traffic the temp would quickly rises.

Last edited:
My parents have been owners since new of a 2004 Toyota Highlander 3.3L V6. The SUV has 235K miles and I changed the oil yesterday. A/C makes noise like a bird if dying, the windows squeel when opened and it looks like a car with 1/4 million miles, however the motor strong and run smooth. I would have no issue driving that car on a long distance trip.

270k on 96tacoma 4x4 3.4L v6. Dove it 3500 miles across county in the winter, march of this year. Just took the same trip in my 98BMW M3 with 196k. No trouble with either.

256,000 miles on the Pajero/Montero and still runs as smooth as day one. No noticiable drop in oil between oil changes (6,250 miles), running synthetic in the differentials, transfer case, transmission and engine with CHF-11S in the power steering system. I'd take it on a roadtrip in a heartbeat.

My BIL's 2007 Honda Fit has over 225,000 miles. I don't recall the current exact mileage.

My formerly possessed; still owned but stolen, 1992 Civic VX hatchback had over 290,000 miles.
banana2.gif

2 out of my 3 have 200k+ (Jeep and Civic) with the third at 190k. I don't think I'd hesitate to drive any of them. They're all very well maintained and in good working order.

I wouldn't hesitate to use my Civic (210k) in sig as it's been nothing but reliable. Timing belt, water pump, tires and brakes are all under 10k. Really no mechanical issues at all.

Sold it 2012, but my 89 Shadow ES Turbo had 297K miles when sold.

It ran fine, but was going to need a timing belt replacement and the radiator was going to need to be replaced. since the metal fins in the lower sections were rotting.

It used no oil. I had the car painted back in 04 did a lot of work and upgrades.

Any car can go the distance if your willing to replace worn items.

I managed 212,000 on a '93 Lexus SC400. Even though I didn't drive especially hard and used synthetic fluid in the differential, the differential failed at 160,000 and they put in a used one (because I couldn't and wouldn't afford the expense of a new one) and it never was right after that, always had a vibration. Also, the power steering rack failed at about that same mileage even though I had used synthetic fluid in the power steering as well. The transmission, using Lexus fluid, failed at 150,000. The only major component that didn't fail was the engine which was running perfectly. I have always marveled at people who say they get 200,000 out of any car without major rebuilds. I would have taken a 2003 Acura MDX to 200,000 but the engine started filling up with oil around 125,000, meaning that the level increased while driving, and by 157,000, it had lost so much power that it would barely run. That engine had had synthetic oil for 100,000 of those miles. Also, by that point, the steering rack was worn out totally and had lots of play in it which made driving a chore. I had actually replaced the p/s fluid several times and the fluid was pristine. Still wore out. The transmission and differential were still sound. Other problems included no rear a/c and the interior lights would no longer work. On the opposite side, I had occasion to drive a mid 90's Honda Civic that had never had the p/s fluid changed or anything other than oil changes and it's steering was just fine and it seemed to run generally very well. Way back in the 60's, I knew a farmer who got 200,000 out of 1961 Pontiac driving on gravel roads a lot. His car lasted longer than any of our Cadillacs did. It totally depends on the car and maintenance, but doing all the proper maintenance and even running premium fluids does not guarantee longevity.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
My question, anybody that has sustained this mileage in any vehicle make or model. With normal maintanance with plugs, wires, oil change, filters of all types, power steering & coolant flushes along with brakes, tires and exhaust. How well and reliable do the milestone cars run? Would you take them on a 5000 mile road trip with no worries?

The Tahoe I used to drive (at work) with ~~275,000 miles on it had routine maintenance; nothing more. It ran strong. I wouldn't have had any hesitation taking it on a long trip. Then the engine seized on me rolling down the freeway on a trip to a town ~50 miles down the road. Quite surprising, really. Between the forensic fluid analysis and my shop guys' look-see post-seize, it failed because it was worn out. No specific cause (meaning it didn't overheat, had proper fluid levels, etc.), just old and done in.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
It used no oil.

Uh oh!! Better start reading :^)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3818677/1/Pet_Peeve:_My_Car_Does_Not_Bur

2005 Ford E150 4.6 with 218K NJ miles. OCI 5000 synthetic with NAPA gold filter and any syn oil on sale, trans spill/fill/filter every 60K, coolant every 2 years, PS fluid every year, brake fluid every 2 years, belt every 60K, optima yellow top battery now 5 YO, fuel filter every 30K, plugs every 90K and I only use name-brand gas (no haji gas). Throttle body was replaced at 100K, all ball joints at 100K, shocks every 60K, and recently the tensioner and a rear caliper were replaced. Original windshield replaced last month due to pitting. As soon as I sense there is any anomaly with this van, it goes right to Ford service.

The other 2006 in the fleet blew its torque converter at 120K and was replaced by a Nissan.

Company says Im due for a new van but won't replace it till it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back