Republic Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in my mid 70s and really don't use a cell phone all that much. Had an old flip phone - prepaid plan.

Read about Republic Wireless and ordered the Moto E 2nd Generation phone on Tuesday and got it Thursday (yesterday). Setup took just a few minutes just signed into my wireless router and then added my Gmail Account into.

Initial impression is good. Tried a few phone calls and will be putting it through it's paces soon on a couple of long trips one here in the states for about 3 weeks then one to Europe. The plus here is overseas if you have Wi-Fi you can make calls back to the states.

I went with the $10.00 a month unlimited talk and text plan with Wi-Fi only data. Will post my impressions later after using it for awhile.

I have a friend who has his and his family's phones with Republic, and he has nothing but good things to say about their service. They are aggressive price shoppers, and he says Republic has the most competitive pricing plan he found. I hope your experience will be as good as his.

What cell service does Republic use? (whose cell towers).

I have Consumer Cellular which consistently has top rated customer service but they use ATT towers. My work Blackberry is Verizon. Neither work at my house. T-Mobile only works 20 miles away.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What cell service does Republic use? (whose cell towers).

I have Consumer Cellular which consistently has top rated customer service but they use ATT towers. My work Blackberry is Verizon. Neither work at my house. T-Mobile only works 20 miles away.
AFAIK it's Sprint.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I am in my mid 70s and really don't use a cell phone all that much. Had an old flip phone - prepaid plan.

Read about Republic Wireless and ordered the Moto E 2nd Generation phone on Tuesday and got it Thursday (yesterday). Setup took just a few minutes just signed into my wireless router and then added my Gmail Account into.

Initial impression is good. Tried a few phone calls and will be putting it through it's paces soon on a couple of long trips one here in the states for about 3 weeks then one to Europe. The plus here is overseas if you have Wi-Fi you can make calls back to the states.

I went with the $10.00 a month unlimited talk and text plan with Wi-Fi only data. Will post my impressions later after using it for awhile.

Would have a better signal and very similar bill each month, had you went with Consumer Cellular, which uses ATT satellites, not subpar Sprint.

Donald with republic wireless if you have Wi-Fi at home, etc., you would have coverage. When not using Wi-Fi republic uses Sprint with free roaming on Verizon towers.

Checkout their web site for additional info.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: SrDriver

Would have a better signal and very similar bill each month, had you went with Consumer Cellular, which uses ATT satellites, not subpar Sprint.

One problem is no free calling from overseas. and coverage in areas where no phone has any bars. As long as you have Wi-Fi then you are good to go. That is one reason I am trying out their service. 30 day return policy if not happy.

Here's my impressions.

I have the 10 dollar per month plan also.

Moto E phone, mine is the older version of that phone.

Phone works fine, very basic android phone.

I DO like that Republic puts some serious work into the app that controls the switching of voice over the WIFI, to the cellular network.

It is updated once every few months and is getting pretty darn reliable.

A poster above said ATT is better than Sprint. That depends on where you are sir.

Can ATT give you coverage in a bunker with no cell reception, but you do have WIFI?

I have had a bunch of phones, and have always had trouble in buildings sometimes even inside my home. The WIFI calling works perfect, no drops nothing.

One thing I do not like about Republic wireless is they make you enroll in auto pay, on a card. I prefer to pay online using paypal but I got over that pretty quickly.

The 10 dollar plan is actually 12 dollars with taxes.

Next week we are dumping my wife's expensive Verizon plan and putting her on the 25 dollar Republic plan.

They have a new hybrid plan coming that they will pay you back (in the form of a credit), for any data that you leave UNUSED in your plan.

I have never seen a carrier do that. They say that in testing, the average $25 per month customer ends up paying about $17 per month due to unused data buyback.

A few years ago Sprint network was JUNK. I have a Verizon work phone which I carry as well as the Republic phone, and the coverage goes toe to toe with Verizon in most of the places I go around Central Texas.

I was going with Republic Wireless but they only have few Motorola phones, but my daughters like Apple phone. I went to Verizon store they had Apple 6 on sale for $449 plus tax, they also have Verizon Edge plan which deducts $25 off $40 monthly access.

I only paid tax on 4 phones on the day we had the phones and pay phones cost over 24 months, $18.xx for Apple 6 and $7.xx for Samsung. I choose 10 GB data plan for $80/mo with 20% off the data plan costs is $64.

All 4 phones with 10 GB and unlimited talk&text costs about $160/mo for 2 years, after paid off the phones monthly cost would be about $110-120.

At that time I may switch to Republic Wireless if we can use our current phones.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I was going with Republic Wireless but they only have few Motorola phones, but my daughters like Apple phone. I went to Verizon store they had Apple 6 on sale for $449 plus tax, they also have Verizon Edge plan which deducts $25 off $40 monthly access.

I only paid tax on 4 phones on the day we had the phones and pay phones cost over 24 months, $18.xx for Apple 6 and $7.xx for Samsung. I choose 10 GB data plan for $80/mo with 20% off the data plan costs is $64.

All 4 phones with 10 GB and unlimited talk&text costs about $160/mo for 2 years, after paid off the phones monthly cost would be about $110-120.

At that time I may switch to Republic Wireless if we can use our current phones.

That seems awfully low, are you including taxes and fees?

I had verizon and it was 150$/2 phones and only 1 had data.. with a 21% discount.

Was on the $10/month plan with Republic. Nothing but trouble. Sometimes the phone didn't ring on incoming calls. Sometimes I couldn't call out. This mostly happened when on Sprint but also occurred on wi-fi.

I couldn't get back to Kitty Wireless fast enough. Of course the unlimited plan is $40 a month. Sometimes you get what you pay for but I understand that Republic works for many people.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

That seems awfully low, are you including taxes and fees?

I had verizon and it was 150$/2 phones and only 1 had data.. with a 21% discount.

Taxes and fees are about $12-15, I need to look at the bill to see the exact amount.

You may want to talk to someone at your local Verizon store about "Verizon Edge". You may be surprise that the total cost of new phone(s) with this plan is lower than your current plan.

Since I don't use cell phone much, Samsung Galaxy Core Prime is more than I can use, at $7/mo but with $25 discount of $40/mo access fee, the total cost is $22/mo for it.

If you and your wife okay with Samsung Galaxy then your total monthly cost should be around $100-110/mo for 10GB data shared between 2 phones for 2 years, after 2 years it will be around $90-95/mo.

I looked at my last month Verizon bill, these are the charges:

10GB monthly access: $64
3 Apple 6: $35.79/ea - total $107.37
Samsung Galaxy: 23.82

Total monthly charge is $195 tax, fees and phones included. After paying off 4 phones in 2 years the monthly cost should be around $130, tax and fees included.

FWIW, the way I understand it after the last handful of conversations with Verizon, all the more everything plans give you a discount on you access charge once your contract period is up (once you pay off the phone, whether it's through the Edge option or 2 year contract price), doesn't matter if you did an edge plan for 2 years or not.

Effective after you've paid off the phone, it's a bring your own device plan. As of today, BYOD is $25 access charge per line if the share everything plan is 4gb and under, and $15 access charge per line if the plan is 6gb or over.

We've had Republic service for my wife and I since February and my younger son does as well, as do my older son and his wife.
Service has been flawless thus far and I don't think you'll find less expensive service from any provider.
Wi-Fi can be found just about everywhere if you cheap out and take the no data ten buck plan.
The phones are fairly basic Androids and you do need to purchase a memory chip, since the installed memory is nugatory.
The phones also seem to be power-suckers, so you'll probably want the car charger.
We've been very happy with Republic and would recommend it to anyone.
This is only the beginning of much less costly service from all providers. Those charging more will be forced to lower their rates and to eliminate the confusing bundled rip-offs.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is only the beginning of much less costly service from all providers. Those charging more will be forced to lower their rates and to eliminate the confusing bundled rip-offs.

I agree they will, but only after they loose many customers who switch to low cost providers such as RW (Republic Wireless).

My previous family plan with Verizon was for 4 dumb phones with 700 minutes talk and unlimited text for around $100-110/mo. Now with 4 smart phones and unlimited talk&text is only $180/mo, after paying off the phones my monthly cost will be around $120. Verizon lowers the monthly rate thanks to competitions like RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back