Blown Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here but I keep reading about warranty issues and if the motor blows
the dealer will void your warranty if you do this or that.
Even test your oil.
I understand it was way back but the only time I have seen a motor blow was
in a 1991-92 Ford Taurus. Its been so long ago it was one of those years.

Car had 19K miles on it and was nearing two years old. Had the 3L V6
It was my mothers car and she went to start it and it blew.

She called the local Ford dealer, first purchase ever from them.
They sent a tow truck, told her its a known issue, no cost to her and had
a new motor in it in two days and that one was good for 320K miles until they sold the car.

No questions asked and no big deal...........

cool-story-bro-random-32789641-414-389.jpg

The automakers want you to buy your next car from them so they are not going to try an find a way around every warranty claim. But if you used some SA rated oil from the 1970s and waited 10K to change it, they may say you did not follow the required maint. with respect to the oil. And they would be justified.

That story was both boring and anti- climatic. Let me finish for you.

Then... when they sold it.. Ford bought it because they wanted to study the wear patterns in the engine and they gave them 50% of market value toward a new Taurus. Ford really stands behind their loyal customers.
01.gif

Last edited:
just dropped a load on the 2nd floor, dont go there for at least 15 mins.

Can you say Idiot?

Originally Posted By: 2civics

Then... when they sold it.. Ford bought it because they wanted to study the wear patterns in the engine and they gave them 50% of market value toward a new Taurus. Ford really stands behind their loyal customers.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Can you say Idiot?

Originally Posted By: 2civics

01.gif

Yeah, I am being a wise arse. Welcome aboard.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It's a tough crowd today.

I think this forum could use a bit of a tougher crowd......and, on topic, if someone did manage to blow up a 3.0 Vulcan, that's an accomplishment. In all the years the only real internal failure I witnessed was a broken cam shaft on one of those. Saw wayyy too many Sables/Tauruses/Rangers/Mazda trucks beat into the dirt, and that engine still held together.

Originally Posted By: punisher
if someone did manage to blow up a 3.0 Vulcan, that's an accomplishment. In all the years the only real internal failure I witnessed was a broken cam shaft on one of those. Saw wayyy too many Sables/Tauruses/Rangers/Mazda trucks beat into the dirt, and that engine still held together.

The blown engine in the 91-92 Taurus was probably the 3.8. I've owned several 3.0s and I currently have a 3.0 Ranger. They just keep taking a licking and keep on ticking.

We had a stock motor "blow" in an '87 Aerostar with about 20k on it. It was covered under warranty, the dealer said the head gasket on one side was installed upside down at the factory. I never really bought the story, but they replaced the motor and it lasted another 80k before a heater hose broke and cost us another motor.

It was the 3L Vulcan that blew and like all things could have been a bad assembly job or defective part. Ford at the time said they knew about the issues. Car was driven very easy.
Sheet happens.
Of course the replacement would not die.

My post was really to say not every company will harass you on a mechanical failure. However I believe Honda would. They take it personal and are Nazis when it comes to warranty issues at least in my area.

I think this forum could use a bit of a tougher crowd......and, on topic, if someone did manage to blow up a 3.0 Vulcan, that's an accomplishment. In all the years the only real internal failure I witnessed was a broken cam shaft on one of those. Saw wayyy too many Sables/Tauruses/Rangers/Mazda trucks beat into the dirt, and that engine still held together.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

It was the 3L Vulcan that blew and like all things could have been a bad assembly job or defective part. Ford at the time said they knew about the issues. Car was driven very easy.
Sheet happens.
Of course the replacement would not die.

My post was really to say not every company will harass you on a mechanical failure. However I believe Honda would. They take it personal and are Nazis when it comes to warranty issues at least in my area.

The SHO V8 was a mite "delicate" but that was a Yamaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back