Sticker says 2500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a sticker on my 6.9 that says to change the oil @2500 miles under severe and 5000 if used on the hwy. Although i have not done a uoa Im thinking 5000 is safe with todays oil.

When I owned my semi truck back in the middle 1970s the oil; change interval was 10,000 miles and the expected engine life before over haul was 500,000 miles.

I assume you're referring to the old IDI 6.9 in your Ford?

That is a very robust engine generally, and that year in particular is a fairly good one. Jim Allen runs one and likes it. Ottomatic ran his for 450k miles before it was stolen, and as I recall his OCI plan was every 4k miles with straight grade 30; it was running fine according to him and had never been apart in that 450k miles.

I think you'd be fine to run 5k mile OCIs. Also, the OEM fluid was actually 10w-30 IIRC. Don't know why the 15w-50 would be necessary. Since you're already on Mystic, they have a nice semi-syn 10w-30 hdeo.

Last edited:
I usually run 15w40 but switched to the mystic 15w50 to see if it helped with oil consumption which it did. The recomended oil filter isnt very good but the powerstroke filter fits and is a much better filter.

Currently running the stock filter as i have several. I have seen uoa's on the mystic and am not too impressed with its add pack so i may cut this run short

Many of my trips are 6.5 miles to and from work,a 1 minute drive to the hardware store etc. Plus i live on a dirt road so i fall under severe. My air filter pulls my restriction gage down about every 3k.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Try not to go past a year on your OCI.

Why?

Do you believe that the oil suddenly goes bad on day 366? Do you believe that oil actually knows how old it is?

After running several pieces of equipment (Dmax truck, Kubota tractor, Scag ZTR and classic 1966 Mustang) all out to three year OCIs, I'd have to say the whole "or one year" thing is just a CYA that has no real life application. My UOAs show that oil/filter is still viable way past one year.

Obviously, there are many considerations that go into this decision ... but to blindly put an arbitrary limit on the duration is silly. If you believe that one year is "bad" for oil, then why not 10 months, or 7 months, or six weeks? What makes 12 months the magic limit?

If someone wants to KNOW with absolutely no uncertainty, then they need to get UOAs. But I can assure you, for any piece of equipment that is in good mechanical condition, 12 months is NOT a pragmatic limit to oil life.

Last edited:
+1000 DNewton, thank you for some "great, real world" info and facts sir
happy2.gif
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back