How much oil would you add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Owner's Manual says to add 6.7 Qts with filter change in my '09 IS 350. I did my first oil change last night and added 6.5 qts. Checked it this morning and it is in the "safe range", duh...Of course I figure such.

My question is:

For all of you DIY, would you add 6, 6.5, 6.7 or 7 qts. Obviously from looking at my stick this morning, 6.7 would seem to be perfect and put the oil level at the top button on the stick. I guess I'm toying with either 6.5 so i can save the other half qt for the next oil change or going with 7 which I don't think would hurt anything.

I wouldn't fill it to over the full mark. If 6.5 quarts does it, then that's easy for next time -- get another 6 quarts and you still have the .5 left.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd round it off to 7 quarts.

I'm with Merkava. 7 quarts, and call it done.

I always put 5 quarts in my 4.5-quart-specified engine and now I'm up to 220k on it with no issues. It uses that 1/2 quart over 10k/one year change intervals.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Whatever it takes to get it to the "full" line. If that means 6.7 qt, then that's what I'd put in.

+1 - This is the correct answer. How hard can this be?

When I had my 2GR-FE, I always rounded it off to 6.5qts even though the book says to use 6.4.

Just use the amount that will get it to the full mark and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Whatever it takes to get it to the "full" line. If that means 6.7 qt, then that's what I'd put in.

+1 - This is the correct answer. How hard can this be?

I agree with this, too. But if it registers completely full with 6.5 qts AND YOU CHECK IT during it's OCI you would be fine, too as well.
Some sticks are not perfect measurements, but not all cars are tolerant of overfill either - So I definitely would not do the "7 qts and forget it" routine others are touting !!

All you are usually asking for is for more likely oil leakage and can even cause oil burning thru excess windage and pcv oil being drawn thru to combustion due to overfill condition.

BurrWinder

Last edited:
Agreed. The real risk is in overfilling. While running a half quart low is not problemmatic in normal practice many engines won't tolerate much overfill and will churn the oil to foam. Don't know if this engine has oil scraper but that would be less efficient in a foaming condition as well.

Just fill until full. When I do my changes it takes a full 7qts (the 250 has the same sump). Though I get creative wIth the draining process.

I'd go with 6 and as long as it's above add, that'd be it... Guessing it will consume a little oil and when/if it gets near add I'd open the 7th bottle and add it... Gives you a small shot of fresh additives in the midst of a OCI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back