Why not 0w?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could use some clarification here. I have three cars I maintain they call for 10w30 5w30 and 5w20. My question is why wouldn't I just use 0w for them all? I plan on running Pennzoil Platinum no matter what and I can get both 0w and 5w for the same price. With most of the damage done to an engine being during warm up why wouldn't you want a 0w-20 in place of 5w-20? Am i missing something? Would it hurt the old 1999 car that calls for 10w30 to run 0w-30?

Above freezing(and probably above 10/15F) there isn't enough difference in 0W & 5W to make ANY difference... If you're moving to International Falls MN before your next change, go for the 0W...

IMHO there is no harm in switching to 0wXX grades. I still like to go by the owners manual though just because I am that OCD. Thankfully Honda recommends the use of 0w20 with 5w20 being optional so I can use either grade and be going by the book. Will your engine know the difference? Not likely, especially if the temperature isn't below freezing.

0w-XX oils are all synthetic (there might be an exception or two) and there is still plenty of market for conventional oils which are very good these days.

That said if you want to run 0w-30 and 0w-20 to replace 5w-XX oils you aren't going to hurt anything.

Ow anything usually has higher noack than 5w30 or 10w30. I like to use a qt of pennzoil ultra 10w to my mix when the temps are really hot. I wasnt a big 5w fan, but since pennzoil synthetic and qsud are hto6, 4718 and a5 spec its hard to beat and they handle direct injection the best imo. I've used 5w30 pennzoil synthetic in winter weather and have been completely satisfied.

Ha ha. I'm all loaded up, a little over at 10,800 lbs in a 2500 ready to head 1,100 miles west.
Yesterday would have been a disaster with snow-ball sized hail near Calgary.
On the other side of the Rocky's, people are asking for places for livestock evacuated from forest fires.

Originally Posted By: Jake777
My question is why wouldn't I just use 0w for them all?

Because the owner's manual specifies a certain grade and the oil cap specifies a certain grade.

I just don't like zeroes because zero means nothing. Please don't quote numbers of your favorite 0w-xx. If it calls for 5w or 10w-xx, why use 0w? guess I turned your question around.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Because certain users, no names please, would have a conniption fit.

WOW! I could not have said that any better!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Jake777
My question is why wouldn't I just use 0w for them all?

Because the owner's manual specifies a certain grade and the oil cap specifies a certain grade.

I bet if you took a Sharpie and marked a line through what the owner's manual reads, and put a piece of tape over what the oil fill cap reads, that engine would not care WHAT oil you would put in it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I bet if you took a Sharpie and marked a line through what the owner's manual reads, and put a piece of tape over what the oil fill cap reads, that engine would not care WHAT oil you would put in it.
grin.gif

Yes, but can you live with yourself after doing such a thing ?
grin2.gif

Thanks for all the advice. For some who said why would you. I read that long and informative article posted here on Bob. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/ I enjoyed the read but I couldn't help but take away with me the understanding that most damage is caused during warm up and that since all oils in the same catagony are more or less the same viscosity you would benefit from oils that are closer to operating viscosity at 70 degree or "cold" as they would spend less time warming up. Anyway I'm glad I found this site and that article as I now know a bit more about oil than I ever did before. I guess I don't see the harm in an oil that is closer to its purposed viscosity at room temperature instead of being further away. I do feel the response someone gave about the NOVAC being lower on the higher "w" oils is good info and about the only solid fact that seems to be worth considering.

If there were any measurable difference between startup wear between 0w and 5/10w in warm climates you'd have to be a scientist to measure it. If cold oil damaged engines our northern buddies would have worn out engines in a few winters no matter the oil.. For much of the year my 10w-30 is thinner at startup than many people's 0w-20. I'll take the lower NOACK. At least it can be measured.

Last edited:
Good point on the NOVAC I live in FL and it can get hot lower mass loss is likely nicer to have than 0w. Ok thanks again all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back