2015 Toyota Camry SE - Rental review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one here has an auto-dimming mirror.
smile.gif

2015-buick-lacrosse-model-overview-exterior-938x528-14BULA00026.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
smile.gif

It doesn't have the quality of a Camry, which I find more important....

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The doors still sound tinny when they close. They're missing that necessary solid, inspiring "thunk" sound.

My 2011 Camry never had solid-sounding doors, either. Some in the Camry world note that the accessory door ding guards (that you buy through the dealership) really solidify the door because they essentially "unitize" the big door skin and keep it from resonating like a thin sheet of metal. I dunno -- I never had them on mine.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
And that 4 cylinder engine is still somewhat disappointing, and still doesn't deserve shift paddles.

The engine doesn't deserve more control over the transmission...you, as the driver, do.
wink.gif

My 2011 Camry had a +/- segment of the console shifter that I could use to, loosely, control the transmission's movements. I found it to be quite helpful to keep the transmission from upshifting before I wanted it to. Does the 2015 SE have this?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
smile.gif

And can it be rented for the same daily rate as the Camry?

Originally Posted By: supton
I like our 2.5 L but it doesn't "come alive" at higher revs. Winding it out does not do that much. Good motor, I like it, but it fits the pedestrian nature of the car.

Quoted in agreement. Mainstream Toyota engines in general seem to be this way. No thrills near redline, but quite good in normal usage.

Perhaps the next generation Camry needs a well-sorted CVT like the current generation Corolla has.
27.gif

Prior to when I got the Kitacam used it had had the front passenger door's skin replaced...withOUT any sound-absorbing pad "glued" to the inside of the skin, creating a hollow-sounding ping of a cheap aluminum screen door rather than a thud...

I got the pad installed ($60) and it now has a nice thud like the driver's side door.

I just bought a 2015 XLE Camry. Toyotas have been very good to me so it would take a lot to get me in another brand. I cross shopped the Accord and Sonata.

The Camry SE/XSE rode too stiff for me. I thought I was a sporty guy but realized I like a soft cruiser better than tight cornering. Also, I didn't want the more expensive 18" tires that the brochure says might last less than 24k miles. I wanted the electronic goodies so that mean stepping up to either the XSE or XLE from the base LE or SE. I don't see too many buttons. The telemetrics on new cars is very impressive and it took me a few days to set things up and understand what all the buttons do. The 4cyl is a fine engine. I have no use for paddle shifter so don't miss the in the XLE. The door closing sound sounds fine to me. I think my grandfather judged cars that way and manufacturers probably pay attention to that for showroom use. The SE engine wound out the shifts compared to the XLE. I prefer the smoother shifting and smoother driving XLE.

The Accord is a very nice car. What kept me from the Accord was the 6cyl is probably not as reliable and more expensive and I didn't like all the torque steer as compared to the 4cyl and the 4cyl has the CVT. I'm not sold on the CVT. The Honda engines do like to rev up. The Toyota engines do not. And the Toyota has synthetic leather which I hope is better than the real leather in the Accord.

Rented a Sonata in Vegas a couple months ago. It had about 20k miles on it and there was a wheel bearing noise coming from it. And the Sonata wondered a but on the highway. Nice car but I like the Camry better.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I don't see too many buttons. The telemetrics on new cars is very impressive and it took me a few days to set things up and understand what all the buttons do.

A learning curve of a few days is sometimes too much for many rental car drivers.

Day 3:

I put 360 miles on the Camry today, before returning it at around 5pm.

One thing that I didn't mention is the stereo. Overly biased in favor of the speakers in the dash. I tried to compensate for this, by intentionally setting the front/rear speaker balance more toward the rear seat, but it made little difference. I knew that a good 90% of the sound for driver and front seat passenger was coming right at you, head on from the dash, but didn't realize how bad it was until I got into a different vehicle afterwards.

Final MPG readout when I returned it was 33.1 mpg. I ran 95% highway today (all under 75mph), and that boosted the numbers. But driving into a headwind for about 70 miles also took some of it back.

The other issue that became obvious today was how noisy the interior of the car is, when driving on cracked asphalt roads. It *booms* inside of the car, like thunder during a storm. And on this road, it was continuous. Not sure if the kraptacular Bridgestone Turanza tires are to blame, or if it is a lack of sound deadening materials. But when on the wrong pavement, it was really obvious.

I've caught some continued disagreement about the 4 cylinder engine. Yes, it gets great mileage... and yes, it is more than adequate at most times. However, there are times when it is a complete wimp. And I'm not sure why.

Today, I had to hustle to get out of the way of a merging semi, and when I needed some power and some ooomph... all I got was some noisy thrashing from under the hood. Did the transmission go to 3rd when it should have been in 4th? I'm not sure, as I was trying to avoid a semi.

But, it has been returned back to Enterprise, for others to drive it now. I'm estimating that I put around 500 miles on it in 48 hours.

The noise is likely from the tires' design...tread + rubber chemistry...I experienced what you did with Hankook Ventus V4 ES that were otherwise EXCELLENT in the rain...Cooper CS5 UT are dead silent...I can only imagine the lack of power from the 4-banger + AT...being an MT guy who doesn't mind hearing the engine's power in mid-range RPMs when needed.

Last edited:
I think the LE has much better ride than SE, the SE suspension is tuned for handling.

Toyota engine/transmission is tune for quiet operation not for performance. Accord with 2.4L engine and CVT has better acceleration than Camry, but it is a little noisier.

If someone like quiet/soft ride then Camry LE is better choice, if performance/handling is top priority then Accord is better than Camry. But as of now, Mazda 6 is better than both in term of ride and performance.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think the LE has much better ride than SE, the SE suspension is tuned for handling...

I've driven a few 2015 Camrys. The 2015 LE with steelies, plastic wheel covers and 16" wheels has a softer, cushier ride. There's more tire wrapped around the wheels to soak up bumps. I'll take the steelies any day.

I picked up a new 2015 Camry SE for my wife a couple of weeks ago. It's not a perfect car by any means, but I think it was a great value at less than $20k. Her primary requirement was bright blue color and I wanted something safe, reliable, and economical.

mrslv04, you are scaring me. I agree completely with your post, even with your denouncement of the Mitsu (I also had the misfortune of renting one in the past).

I had a couple of trips to Texas the year before last. On the first, rented a Sonata. Nice car, motor was more than adequate for the job. On the next, rented a Camry. LE or XLE, I forget which. Interior instrumentation and controls felt cheap, and the motor was barely adequate in a flat state. Not sure how it would do in the mountains where I normally drive.

In spite of that, I've been trying to convince the wife to replace her 1996 RAV4 with a new Camry. No dice. There is no incentive that I can offer that will get her to agree. If it doesn't have a manual transmission, I'm stuck with maintaining the old RAV.

Why Toyota, in spite of their shortcomings? You just can't get them to quit. Dull, boring, and you wish they would so you can buy something new, but they don't.

Looks like it's going to be a Mazda 6 (gag) or an Accord. Or maybe even a Corolla, even though it's a bit small for our desires.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Why Toyota, in spite of their shortcomings? You just can't get them to quit. Dull, boring, and you wish they would so you can buy something new, but they don't.

Looks like it's going to be a Mazda 6 (gag) or an Accord. Or maybe even a Corolla, even though it's a bit small for our desires.

Their target buyers are buying Camry in drove for years, marketing guys don't want to change a successful formula.

If you're running Toyota are you willing to take chance in making Camry more fun to drive and possible loosing market share ?

Bridgestone Turanza OEM-spec tires are horrible and horribly expensive to replace pieces of garbage. They get the car from the factory to the dealership and that's it. The one car we had those awful excuses for tires on improved noticeably in noise/vibration/harshness, braking, and handling when we ditched them. It sounds like many of your complaints could be addressed by a better set of tires.

But, for the folks who would buy a Camry in the first place, it likely doesn't matter what tires are on it as long as the car goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back