Royal Purple 5W30 2008 Silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: austinhyd
I forgot to mention that the quart of make up oil was RP 10w30 because they didn't have 5W30 when I stopped by my parts store. Also, the previous oil used in this engine was Castrol Synblend 5W30. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Yes, that's likely the reason for the boron and moly if that castrol uses those additives. Certainly nothing wrong with your UOA or the royal purple. For the money I would try the HPS line. I'm going to run it in my 2008 soon. I just ordered a case on sale. The API stuff is decent, but not a great bargain.

As ExMachina said it's similar to synpower, which showed excellent UOA'S on my Silverado. Was this run mostly city driving?

It was a mix of city and highway. We had a pretty bad winter here in KY, so I spent some time in four wheel drive. I'd say city and highway are probably pretty close to even.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Since you're changing oils wouldn't it be better to see how the TBN is retained by the M1 over the RP? Blackstone's comment is related to the RP of course.

What does m1 have to do with this thread? He used RP and refilled with pp.

Yeah sorry, PP. Still I meant the change of brands.

Something is just not right here. Even the API certified RP is rated to go 12000 miles. For this oil to be this shot by 6500 miles maybe indicative that something may not be right with the engine. RP oils, both API and HPS line retains its TBN very well and it is the opposite in this case.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Poor results for what you have to pay for RP.

You've got 13,000 plus posts you should know you dont learn much from one oil change.

Originally Posted By: deven
Something is just not right here. Even the API certified RP is rated to go 12000 miles. For this oil to be this shot by 6500 miles maybe indicative that something may not be right with the engine. RP oils, both API and HPS line retains its TBN very well and it is the opposite in this case.

I'll agree,even though this is one oil change.He's changing oils so this report doesnt really mean too much anyways.

I changed last time from RP to PP. This time my OLM went to 0%. Since my last change I've spent a lot of time idling and in four wheel drive. I've also added larger tires, which I'm sure is causing the odometer to read a little light.

Originally Posted By: deven

Correct, but facts won't stop the eternal RP critics from bashing it though.

In the FWIW column, I would run Valvoline Synthetic 5-30 in your 5.3.
Our 2004 Tahoe went to 125% of the OLM (-25%) about 7500 miles, and the results looked better than Blackstone averages for the 5.3 at 5900 miles
A much less expensive alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back