eljefino special!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the apparent yet smooth wear on the cam, what oil would you run? A 40wt or stick with 5w 30?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Considering the apparent yet smooth wear on the cam, what oil would you run? A 40wt or stick with 5w 30?

M1 0w-40. Cheap. Easy to get. 10000 mile intervals should be easy considering the viscosity reserve.

i would stick to 15W40, especially with an oil burner.

my friend just sold his 02 SL1 MT saturn with only 85000 miles for $950. i told him he was nuts, but the car had some minor issues (no oil burning though) and he hates the whole call selling process. the 3rd person who showed up took the car.

I've decided to do a run of mobil conventional high mileage 10w 40 and see how consumption is. With the smooth wear marks on the cams, maybe a bit of mos2.

Nice score, hopefully it'll last you for a while!

This thread makes me regret dumping my wife's 02 SL1. Last summer it had developed some type of chugging/low rpm surging that happened every so often, and the trans was starting to get a slight attitude(still performed great) so we started looking for something that would be more reliable. Found her the Impala in my sig, and the Saturn ended up just sitting until I decided what I wanted to do with it. Long story short, we let it sit until a couple weeks ago when we had to sell it to CarMax because we couldn't have 3 cars in our current(new) living situation.

We got hosed on the price, $300...but I had it on CL for the previous 3 weeks with no bites from $2k down to $1k in the remaining few days I had it.

Tires were only 10k miles/2 years old, new coils/wires/ignition module and spanking new battery(old one died from sitting so long over the winter). Needed front brakes horribly, and it had some sort of knocking/ticking from what sounded like coming from under the valve cover. Only 111k, and aside from the typical female driver scrapes/etc..it was clean.

I had thought about selling my Regal GS and drive this for my 60 mile/day work commute, but I got convinced not to. Then once the tick/knock developed after driving it again, I got a little leery.

Last edited:
As I am an owner of & proud to maintain many Saturns.....

-------->
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: EuroGS

Tires were only 10k miles/2 years old, new coils/wires/ignition module and spanking new battery(old one died from sitting so long over the winter). Needed front brakes horribly, and it had some sort of knocking/ticking from what sounded like coming from under the valve cover. Only 111k, and aside from the typical female driver scrapes/etc..it was clean.

That sound was probably the belt tensioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back