What bicycle(s) did you have as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Front wheel locked up the first day I had it, throwing me off.

Ooh man,an endo! No fun at all :^(

I had hand me downs then I bought a Klein and didn't like anything about it except for the weight then sold it and bought a Trek 1500 and I love it . I am sure a newer model would be better but My neck and wrists go numb from joint problems so a 5 mile ride is pushing it.

Sears Gremlin , i wish i still had it. it was cool.

$_1.JPG

Later i had one like this, but the Gremlin was cooler.
402879006.jpg

Last edited:
My Dad worked for JC Penney and brought me home the coolest bike ever when I was 9 or 10. It had a STEERING WHEEL in place of handlebars.

Absolutely the coolest bike, pull a wheely and twirl the front end like a top....

Schwinn stingray then a Schwinn predator freeestyle. Those were the days when Schwinn actually made great bikes.

No kidding. At 6, it was a major crisis.

Mom took it to a local bike shop and they put new bearings in the wheel and went over the bike.

Never really had any trouble with it after that other than flat tires and other normal wear and tear inflicted by a young boy.

Somehow, it didn't deter me from riding.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Front wheel locked up the first day I had it, throwing me off.

Ooh man,an endo! No fun at all :^(

Mine was a Norco BMX with red (pink) tires. It had a chrome frame but the PO had painted it white for some reason. I eventually got all the white paint off.

After that was my first mountain bike, it was a Leader 12 speed that I painted flat black (because I was so awesome) and put bright blue bar ends on it for mad "hill climbing" capabilities, new tires, Shimano index shifters....etc. I had WAY more into the bike than it was worth. I put tens of thousands of Kilometers on it though, taking that heavy steel pig everywhere.

First BMX bike was a Diamond Back with mag wheels. Black frame and yellow wheels, it was bad! But it got stolen so my mom purchased me a Huffy and I broke it. Then she purchased me another Huffy and I broke it. Finally she got me a Redline 102b and that lasted me until I was too big to ride it (and I was a lot better about locking it up).

First multi-speed bike was a 24" wheel Schwinn Varsity used, then a Schwinn Sprint 27" 10 speed used to ride to school until I got my license.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
Schwinn stingray then a Schwinn predator freeestyle. Those were the days when Schwinn actually made great bikes.

Absolutely!! They were great back then. Do you remember the top of the line BMX Schwinn Sting?

For my 7th birthday, my parents got me this weird used bike with strange compartments, archaic styling, and small (16"?) wheels w/ balloon tires. It would get a flat every time I rode it more than a block. My dad wasn't mechanically-inclined, so they replaced it with the bike I'd really wanted, an Eaton's Glider - a red single-speed with a coaster brake, and an endorsement by Gordie Howe. The Gliders of the day were Raleighs imported from Nottingham, England and rebadged.

It was stolen three years later and replaced a year later with another Glider.

I outgrew the 2nd Glider around age 13, and didn't have a bike again until I was an adult. Now I'm looking to buy a 3rd bike - have a mountain bike, a hybrid, and am looking at a fat bike for winter riding.

My first bikes were pieced together from parts my brothers had passed down.

Late-70s Mongoose Motomag frame and forks, 1st-gen Tuf-Neck, ACS Z-Rims, Redline V-bars, Redline Flight crank.

That got refreshed into an early-80s Diamond Back Silver Streak and a set of new GT forks. The Z rims were eventually replaced by new Arayas with sealed-bearing Suzue hubs.

I always had a bunch of parts coming and going to fund purchases. I remember a Diamond Back Formula 1 frame kicking around for a while. I picked up a number of mags when they went out of style, mostly Skyway, but I did have a set of ACS Z-Mags. A few newer Tuf-Neck and DK stems and Dia-Compe brake setups too.

Sheesh, what I wouldn't give to have most of those parts again...

I had a Huffy Bandit. They were Black and Gold and had all these weird fenders and special tires. They were the rave. I actually saw one selling on Ebay for a lot of money just recently. They had some cool themed bicycle's out then.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
My first bikes were pieced together from parts my brothers had passed down.

Late-70s Mongoose Motomag frame and forks, 1st-gen Tuf-Neck, ACS Z-Rims, Redline V-bars, Redline Flight crank.

That got refreshed into an early-80s Diamond Back Silver Streak and a set of new GT forks. The Z rims were eventually replaced by new Arayas with sealed-bearing Suzue hubs.

I always had a bunch of parts coming and going to fund purchases. I remember a Diamond Back Formula 1 frame kicking around for a while. I picked up a number of mags when they went out of style, mostly Skyway, but I did have a set of ACS Z-Mags. A few newer Tuf-Neck and DK stems and Dia-Compe brake setups too.

Sheesh, what I wouldn't give to have most of those parts again...

Man that brought back ALOT of wonderful memories!! We did the same thing,swapped parts around all the time. I never had any of those Araya Z rims,but I remember them being really lightweight. Were they made out of the same stuff that the Tuff Wheels were made of? Did you ever have any of those fluted alloy seat posts and handlebars? Those were the days :^) Did you ever have any Mathauser brake pads? Those things would totally lock up the wheels!

We did the same thing,swapped parts around all the time. I never had any of those Araya Z rims,but I remember them being really lightweight. Were they made out of the same stuff that the Tuff Wheels were made of? Did you ever have any of those fluted alloy seat posts and handlebars? Those were the days :^) Did you ever have any Mathauser brake pads? Those things would totally lock up the wheels!

After a while, I hated Z-Rims. Figure by the time I had them, there were already 10+ years old, so maybe they were just worn out and prone to tweaking, but they were at the bike shop twice a year getting straightened and having broken spokes replaced.

I eventually got rid of them for a good price and put the money toward the Arayas.

This is a good site to get lost in old BMX: http://bmxmuseum.com

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
We did the same thing,swapped parts around all the time. I never had any of those Araya Z rims,but I remember them being really lightweight. Were they made out of the same stuff that the Tuff Wheels were made of? Did you ever have any of those fluted alloy seat posts and handlebars? Those were the days :^) Did you ever have any Mathauser brake pads? Those things would totally lock up the wheels!

After a while, I hated Z-Rims. Figure by the time I had them, there were already 10+ years old, so maybe they were just worn out and prone to tweaking, but they were at the bike shop twice a year getting straightened and having broken spokes replaced.

I eventually got rid of them for a good price and put the money toward the Arayas.

This is a good site to get lost in old BMX: http://bmxmuseum.com

Correction in my post....the Z Rims were made by ACS,right? Arayas were the anodized alloys,I think? Man that was a long time ago for me :^P Probably 81-82?

First bike, 20" convertable, Hardware store. Next bike was a 26' frankenbike, 26" Huffy 3 speed, 26" John Deere 10 speed, matte black with silver lettering, tan saddle and handlebar tape, then used Schwinn Traveler. Currently looking at friends Klein Quantum II.

Fake Shimano BMX. that got me hooked, the best was probably the 84 Diamond Back F1 I bought in the early 90s, that thing was light, and made doing freestyle tricks so easy.

2010, when I was 34 years old.

in 1996 on my favorite Diamond Back

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alcyon
Fake Shimano BMX. that got me hooked, the best was probably the 84 Diamond Back F1 I bought in the early 90s, that thing was light, and made doing freestyle tricks so easy.

2010, when I was 34 years old.

in 1996 on my favorite Diamond Back

Awesome!!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back