Need a pad slap...any pad recommendations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at ceramics for the front end.

Duralast Gold(autozone)
Akebono (Amazon)
Brakebest (Oreillys)

Others?

It's been a loong time since I've had to swap out pads. Thanks

Last edited:
Lots of choices.

Personal anecdotes, running Akebono ProAct on two Hondas currently, Civic fronts, Accord rear. Completely satisfied, compare very favorably to oem.

Reasonably priced, my applications made in US. Thinking most are.

So of the three listed, Akebono.

Originally Posted By: 2civics

Duralast Gold(autozone)
Akebono (Amazon)
Brakebest (Oreillys)

Others?

Akebono or Wagner TQ (they often have rebates).

I have had good luck with AAP gold pads, but since the pad materials vary by application I cannot tell you they are good for you.

As stated above, our Honda boys love Akebono, that is probably your best bet...

I have actually had really good luck with the ceramic pads from this vendor...

http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/

All the pads I have gotten are very high quality and are mostly house branded national brand pads from what I can discern. Very reasonable prices for what they stock.. and seem to ship fast as well...!!

BurrWinder

Running Akebono on the Acura. Best aftermarket pad Ive ever ran. Previously to that ran Wagner Thermoquiets and they were junk, junk, junk. Super dusty barely lasted 20k miles.

Cant go wrong with the Akeebono pad on a Honda product.

Must be Akebono rally day!.

We just put some Akebono's on my adult daughter's Malibu. This is the first time I have not gone with the lifetime warranty Autozone's.

In our case, the 30% discount code at Advance Auto put them at the same price as Amazon, even with local tax included. If you need other stuff (rotors?) and can nudge the $100 mark, you can get 40% off.

The Akebono's were in the same price range as the good-to-better AZ and AAP store brands +/- $5.

Very nice pads and very nice to see Made in USA on the box.

I really liked OEM on my Honda (Akebono) and they were 100% dust free.

I have Bendix CQ (GG friction coefficient) and like them a lot more, as they are a step up in agression and they are a lot cheaper like half price IIRC for me.

BUT, there is a very tiny bit of black dust that I see build up on the edge of the rotor hats. VERY minor, but I am just letting you know.

The OEM (FF friction rating) almost felt glazed. The Bendix pads are grabbier and give nicer smoother city stopping. I prefer them over the OEM by far.

Hope this helps give you another option...

Originally Posted By: Donald

Duralast Gold(autozone)
Akebono (Amazon)
Brakebest (Oreillys)

Others?

Akebono or Wagner TQ (they often have rebates).

Akebono - well worth the premium. Wagner TQ are junk - poor insulator design and noisy in a number of applications. Centric 105 is also a good choice if you are on a budget.

Akebono's are much better than the other 2 you list. O'Reilly is better than Duralast. Wagner is about the same as O' Reillys just an ok pad.

Judging by the posters name, I don't have experience with those cars. However, Wagner Thermoquiets have been excellent in the applications I use them in - my F150s, Explorers, and even my old Cherokee have hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles - no noise or problems.

Sorry, meant to say Advance Auto Parts.

I'll give them a call this morning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Previously to that ran Wagner Thermoquiets and they were junk, junk, junk. Super dusty barely lasted 20k miles.

I had ThermoQuiets on our 2007 Town & Country and I, too, thought they were quite poor compared to other pads I've used. They were heavy dusters with this odd light brown/gold colored dust and were noisy. I've never been unsatisfied with a brake pad until I tried those.

They were heavily hyped some years ago when they first came out, and I bought a few sets on sales and rebate deals. I came away pretty unimpressed.

Sorry, meant to say Advance Auto Parts.

I'll give them a call this morning.

Yes AAP carries them. That said, comparing prices recently for AkebProAct for Accord, I found that Amazon had the lowest price, even after applying the best AAP online discount code I could find at the time. I have Prime but thinking even the without they wouldn't take too long to arrive.

RockAuto price was ok too, but Amazon's price was the same and delivery was quicker.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
.....Previously to that ran Wagner Thermoquiets and they were junk, junk, junk. Super dusty barely lasted 20k miles....

Perhaps it's an application specific deal, but I put the Wagner TQ's with AAP Wearever front rotors last year on a Tacoma. I can say thus far they have been very low dust, no noise and stopping ability seems very satisfactory. Perhaps I'm not as critically observant of the latter, but dusting has not been an issue. Can't speak to longevity yet.

Still AkebonoProAct would be my first choice.

Sayjac-

I got my Proacts for 32.00 on Amazon. Locally, at Advanced Auto Parts they wanted $74.00. Wasn't much of a decision to be made.....

Sayjac-

I got my Proacts for 32.00 on Amazon. Locally, at Advanced Auto Parts they wanted $74.00. Wasn't much of a decision to be made.....

Yep, as I said even with the best AAP discount online code at the time, Amazon had it beat, paid $34 and change including tax.

Some things like batteries AAP prices with a $40-50 off code are tops. Other things, not so much. Why it pays to shop around online first.

Same as the Akebono ProAct on Civic fronts, rears on the Accord look well made and are working as good as oem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back