sks or cheap cheap ar 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the PSA blem lower. After cleaning the rife several times after shooting it I am still at a loss to find the "blem". The PSA quality is excellent for the price.

Hans,

I also echo skip the SKS. I had a mint, mint Yugo and still didn't like it. The AR platform is so much more fun and pleasant to shoot.

I'd skip the poly lower, too. Such cheap, quality options out there as mentioned, and I've had friends have problem with polys. I've built many ARs with PSA branded lowers - they don't make their own BTW, they outsource it to AeroPrescision and others. Always work great, even the blems.

Last edited:
Since you aren't interested in the 'collector' aspect of the SKS and want something black and tacticool, go for the AR15. By the time you buy all the TAPCO pieces for the SKS and the US parts to make it 922r compliant, you'll have as much in the SKS as you would a basic AR15.

Like SuperDave456 mentioned, the SKS triggers are not good and even the most basic AR15 will outshoot the SKS.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The plain blem lower is $129 when it comes back in stock.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14434/

Don't buy a polymer lower to save $10-$20. They are not as durable and not as safe. Shoot an overpressure round and the aluminum lowers protect your hands and face. The polymer ones blow up and tear your face/hands up. The $10-20 difference is well worth the price, considering the safety factor and the fact that an aluminum lower will last your life time. Buy once, cry once.

The SKS is a cool blaster. I love my like new 1953 Russian Tula example. I would probably still go AR-15 though. Really neat, customizable platform. Also works great as possibly the best home defense gun you can have with a 30 rd magazine and flashlight mounted to it.

Right now their is only a difference of $120 between their lowest priced complete PTAC upper and a CHF chrome hammer forged FN barreled upper. Instead of buying cheap now and upgrading later, just buy the FN CHF upper now and than you don't have to worry about upgrading later. Buy once, cry once.

Complete PTAC upper $259
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...bcg-and-ch.html

Complete CHF upper $379
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...ing-handle.html

Complete CHF upper $379 ultra light weight barrel (very high demand barrel)
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...ing-handle.html

Can someone fill me in on the differences between a carbine barrel vs. one that isnt a carbine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Can someone fill me in on the differences between a carbine barrel vs. one that isnt a carbine?

They are all carbine barrels, since AR-15's are technically carbines. What I think you are referring to is the length of the gas system. Carbine length has a 7.5" gas tube. Mid-length has a 9.5" gas tube.

The differences are not that much, but there are some benefits of the longer gas tube. For one, it increases dwell time, which is how long before the bolt unlocks and starts moving rearward as it ejects the spent cartridge case. This increases reliability with certain ammo configurations.

One other benefit of the mid-length is that since the dwell time is increased, it tends to lower the PSI at the gas port. The higher the pressure, the more wear and tear on the bolt, cam pin, and locking lugs. A mid-length system is thus likely more durable in the long run statistically.
Carbine: 34,000 PSI
Mid-Length: 27,000 PSI

The carbine gas system is an excellent system and has served the US military well BUT, I myself and many others think the mid-length system is better for the reasons stated above.

Carbine gas top, mid-length gas bottom
Daniel-Defense-stripped-uppers.jpg

And here is a picture showing the other common gas length, rifle, compared to the other two systems above.
Different-lengths.jpg

I would get the AR-15. Second choice for me would be an AK-47. There are actually American manufacturers of the AK, if buying American is important to you.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Second choice for me would be an AK-47. There are actually American manufacturers of the AK, if buying American is important to you.

Guns are getting more and more popular, especially the tactical rifle side. AK parts kits are drying up so you will start seeing more and more made in USA AK parts and made in USA AK's altogether, which is a really good thing.

Well the embargo on Ruskie made AK's had a ton to do with it also. They, along side the Bulgarian made Arsenals, were the best out of the box import production guns. It left a noticeable hole in the market for others to fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
does anyone know if those Century made Aks are any good?

With Century made guns it is really a [censored] shoot. I have seen some positive reviews of the US made ones (not reassembled parts guns). However, if I recall they do not come with a chrome lined bore, so your barrel will wear more quickly.

I have several SKS rifles (3 Yugo, 1 Chinese, and 1 Russian). I paid $270 for my Chinese one at a gun show face to face and it is a real nice shooter(chrome lined barrel), the wood was in real good shape.

I have not bought an SKS in years so I can imagine that people are charging a lot more.

I still think the SKS used to be the best rifle for the money.

Why not just get both?

Originally Posted By: Doog
does anyone know if those Century made Aks are any good?

I own several Century AK's. All run well with zero problems. Century's quality has improved greatly over the last several years.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I own several Century AK's. All run well with zero problems. Century's quality has improved greatly over the last several years.

I have not had good luck with Century AKs (Yugoslavian underfolders) in the last few years, but at least their customer service is excellent. They were quick to replace a bad rifle at no charge.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Originally Posted By: billt460

I have not had good luck with Century AKs (Yugoslavian underfolders) in the last few years, but at least their customer service is excellent. They were quick to replace a bad rifle at no charge.

Century guns are hit or miss at times. They seem to be doing better. But when I had an FFL I had MANY Romanian made SAR and WASR AK's that showed up with canted gas tubes and sights that should not have made it past quality control.

Usually Zastava(Serb/Yugo) made guns are good, but if Century put them together as a kit gun, then you never know.

SKS is a fun little rifle . So is an AR . And an AK .

The AR is normally a more accurate rifle .

The AK is more tolerant of dirt .

Compare ammo costs .

God bless
Wyr

I'll add my .02 cents.

I had 3 SKS's, 2 Yugo's and a Chinese Type 56. After a year of playing I sold all 3 and built a basic AR out of a mid length PTAC upper Palmetto sells ($199), PSA lower kit($99) with a Anderson lower($50). Total cost was quite a bit under $500, just have to shop sales.

I have about 700 rounds through my AR and it has been absolutely trouble free and accurate even with steel case ammo. Can't say that about the SKS's I sold.

Very happy with the decision I made. Some AR "enthusiasts" will tell you that you NEED a chrome lined chamber and NEED to spend $1000 to get a good AR, bla, bla, bla. Sure, if you are going to be tromping around in a desert or mud and not cleaning your AR for 500-1K rounds at a time, it will help. If you are a casual weekend shooter save the money and buy more ammo instead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Huie83
I'll add my .02 cents.

I had 3 SKS's, 2 Yugo's and a Chinese Type 56. After a year of playing I sold all 3 and built a basic AR out of a mid length PTAC upper Palmetto sells ($199), PSA lower kit($99) with a Anderson lower($50). Total cost was quite a bit under $500, just have to shop sales.

I have about 700 rounds through my AR and it has been absolutely trouble free and accurate even with steel case ammo. Can't say that about the SKS's I sold.

Very happy with the decision I made. Some AR "enthusiasts" will tell you that you NEED a chrome lined chamber and NEED to spend $1000 to get a good AR, bla, bla, bla. Sure, if you are going to be tromping around in a desert or mud and not cleaning your AR for 500-1K rounds at a time, it will help. If you are a casual weekend shooter save the money and buy more ammo instead.

The AR is a lot more durable than people think.

As far as the PTAC non-chrome lined low end uppers, I'd rather opt for one of their FN barreled premium uppers or hammer forged barrel uppers. The cost difference is only $60-100 on average. Over the lifetime of the rifle that's only $2 per year to have a better barrel. The barrel and bolt carrier group are the heart of the rifle, the important part, and not where you should pench pennies, in my opinion.

Yesterday one of my friends came over the house with an AR stripped lower and a premium Palmetto State Collapsable stock and lower parts kit and said put this together for me. 20 minutes and it was ready to go. ARs are probably one of the best rifle/carbine whether semi or full auto ever produced,they just plain work when quality parts are used. Palmetto premium parts are as good as good cam be and quite the value.I should get one for myself . Maybe one of these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back