Mobil 1 5W-30 for my guns. Residual from bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I no longer buy gun oil (the kind in a plastic bottle) anymore. I still buy cans of RemOil as they do a nice job of coating parts.

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Silverado (6 1 quart bottles). When I get done, I take the empty bottles and let them drain for a while into one of my older quart M1 bottles. Over the last two oil changes, I have gotten ~10 ounces of residual 5W-30 (there appears to be ~1oz in a drained oil bottle).

Even inexpensive gun oil is $2 for 1 oz. I figure I have enough gun oil for life.

Found M1 atf to work as an effection light oil for various purposes. In fact I've.been doing that with my left overs.when I do a synthetic change too. Except I dont Luke to use it on my firearms. With how long a bottle of clp lasts me no need- plus I've heard motor oil isn't as hydrophobic as some others and doesn't protect from corrosion as well.

Wouldn't hesistate to use if that's all I had though.

It works, although I doubt it is the ideal lube. Many old timers used plain old 3 in 1 oil or the original Hoppes gun oil on their guns and they lasted a lifetime.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I actually use M1 Synthetic ATF to lube my guns. Never had an issue with it.

Better than motor oil bc it doesn't have emulsifiers (sheds water better)

Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21
I've used Mobil 1 for years and thousands of rounds in my ARs, Pistols, Rifles and has always done the job.

Same here. "Firearms Lubricants" simply cost more, and work no better. I base that on the fact I have yet to hear anyone even claim, let alone document their weapon "wore out" faster on automotive lubricants, than it did a "Firearm Lubricant". That is assuming anyone can even know, or document what makes a..... "Firearm Lubricant"?

I too have the best luck with M1 as a gun oil. It remains on the gun properly and lubricates as necessary. Without gumming up. I use M1, 5W-40 TDT, as that's what I have in my squirt can.

I thought I was weird because I did this. So glad I am not alone.

I started about 2 years ago, I leave the empty M1 bottles upright over night in a funnel into a small water bottle (blown clean w/compressed air). I collect about 1/2 or more ounce per quart bottle. I get more oil than I need for household use and gun lube that way, and it works way better than most dedicated gun lubes.

It stinks a bit, but for the cost (zilch) and efficiency (off the chart vs. BreakFree, etc.), I'll put up with it!

ATF is just too thin to cling for long storage periods, and that as well as the lack of a top-notch anti-wear package make it less than ideal for fast cycling autos.

Last edited:
I have been using a mix of engine oil , STP & Tranny fluid for a lube on my progressive press . Seems to work fine ?

Then I started to use it on my guns , except I still use grease on M1 Garand & M1A .

We bought a new Chevy & it calls for Dexos spec engine oil . Think I will use one of the Mobil full synthetic oils . Thinking about draining out the " left over " oil as has been described here & using it as a gun oil .

So , it seems I am not the only one with this idea . :)

Thanks , for the info . :)
God bless
Wyr

Never thought to use the excess Mobil oil. I wonder what the viscosity of some gun oils are compared to M1, lets say 5w30. Or should you use a straight 30 weight?

While I like and use SLIP 2000 products on my firearms, lately I have been draining the residual oil out of gallon Rotella T6 5w-40 bottles when I change my diesel engines.

So far it seems to work just as well as anything else I've tried, and it's essentially free. My heavy use tactical weapons seem to run just as well, although on really hot Summer days I still use SLIP 2000 EWL-30 on AR BCG's, at least until this bottle is used up.

Last edited:
I recently bought some Ballistol.

You guys think that has enough anti-wear and anti-pressure additives for my Browning Hi-Power slide rails?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

You guys think that has enough anti-wear and anti-pressure additives for my Browning Hi-Power slide rails?

Grease on rails

+1 mobil 1, the 5w40 TDT is best, i figure diesel soot and gun powder residue can't be too far off. I find the residue stays in the oil and wipes up easy. More cleaning and reoiling are needed this way but its all part of the fun.

It will work fine. The Germans used Ballistol on their guns in ww2. Among the [censored] arms were lots of Belgian made Hi Powers.

Originally Posted By: steve40th

Grease on rails

I use 50/50 Mobil1 75W-90 gear oil and ATF. Both shed water, have great film strength, and highly anti-corrosive. I use #9 for the barrel.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

It will work fine. The Germans used Ballistol on their guns in ww2. Among the [censored] arms were lots of Belgian made Hi Powers.

Apparently you cannot use the shortened word for Sauerkraut to refer to anything German these days. What a sad PC world we live in when a German American like me cannot use that term. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back