Clay before Compound/Polish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the reason someone would clay a car before doing a paint correction?

The compound/polish will remove any surface contamination. And I always wash with Dawn and wipe down with IPA after polishing before I apply a sealant/wax.

Should I really be claying before I compound/polish?

It's the same idea as getting undressed before you take a shower. Both ideas have a good track record for producing good results.

You don’t want to compound a cars paint too often I am no detailer but i paint a lot and more than pretty good with a rotary buffer.
I compound after i paint and color sand that’s it, the rest of the paints life is only clay bar and wax with no abrasives unless there is something serious like a deep scratch.

A deep scratch is best masked off and filled with paint or blending clear, then buffed to meet the other paint not removed (actually blended in, the scratch is never removed) by removing the surrounding paint or clear coat. Proper pre washing and washing keeps road dirt scratches to a minimum.
The clay bar removes junk that is embedded in the paint by either pulling it out or cutting it off without removing any clear.

Unless someone has a paint thickness gauge (really only beneficial for single stage paint) i wouldn’t go near a car with compound especially if the car looks like its been detailed a lot.

Answer: Yes, per the above responses. Claying or nanoskining will pull out surface contaminants resulting in a smooth surface ready for the next step.
If the finish is good or only has minor flaws, you can use a cleaner/glaze before sealing or waxing. There's a flow chart on one of the detailing forums that shows the recommended steps.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You don’t want to compound a cars paint too often

+1 IMO compound is an absolute last resort.

My Honda has only ever been polished once with Meguire's ultimate polish, and that was a few years ago.

I have a few scratches and some oxidation on the roof that never came off with the polish I put on it 2 years ago.

I'm thinking of using Meguire's Ultimate Polish followed by their polish next spring before I apply a new sealant.

Probably better to get a fine grade nanoskin sponge for $13 online(Amazon, autogeek). No need to keep folding the clay over and over. Plus you don't have to throw it away if it's dropped on the ground. If you want something bigger you can get a nanoskin towel(more $$$) to cover more ground quicker.

I remember on the Accord forum a guy that wet sanded his black Accord which brought out the blue flake:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/18-maintenance-detailing/48729-started-wetsanding-my-accord.html

Thanks satinsilver. I just put two of these sponges in my cart on Amazon. I'll get them in my next shipment.

BTW, I don't have the balls to do what that guy did on driveaccord.net. Holy smokes!!! Great results, but I lack the courage and the commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back