Cleaning synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2009 BMW X3 with 87,000 miles. It has had factory-scheduled dealer oil changes of around 18,000 miles. I would like to do some shorter OCIs with a synthetic that especially cleans. Back when I started with synthetic in a 1.8T, Mobil1 0W40 was supposed to be a good cleaner, but that was 15 years ago. TIA for your suggestions!

M1 0w-40 is still a great oil and it also meets the BMW LL-01 spec which your engine calls for. It is loaded with calcium which is a detergent, so it should be pretty good at cleaning. Although if you have a sludged up engine, don't expect miracles.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 0w-40 is still a great oil and it also meets the BMW LL-01 spec which your engine calls for. It is loaded with calcium which is a detergent, so it should be pretty good at cleaning. Although if you have a sludged up engine, don't expect miracles.

This. M1 0w-40 is still very much the benchmark for readily available Euro oils with the requisite approvals.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have used it for 15 years, but just wondered if I was getting behind the times. I am thinking of changing oil 2 - 3 times with a 3500 miles OCI and then go to every 10k with M1 0W40 just to continue cleaning old stuff.

Originally Posted By: ganseg
I have used it for 15 years, but just wondered if I was getting behind the times.

It meets some of the most stringent engine mfg specs in existence today, so from that standpoint, I'd consider it top notch. It is also used as factory fill in many high performance vehicles.

Other viable options would include Castrol Edge 0w-40 and Pennzoil Euro 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: ganseg
Thanks for the encouragement. I have used it for 15 years, but just wondered if I was getting behind the times. I am thinking of changing oil 2 - 3 times with a 3500 miles OCI and then go to every 10k with M1 0W40 just to continue cleaning old stuff.

This will work well for you.

FWIW, I did notice that the Amsoil Signature 5W-30 had a tremendous amount of calcium, roughly 50% more than PP GTL if I remember correctly...not sure if the OW-40 would be similar.
That actually helped scare me off the Amsoil, as there is some evidence that high calcium levels are not the best for DI engines. The test results for that line of oils looked very good.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
FWIW, I did notice that the Amsoil Signature 5W-30 had a tremendous amount of calcium, roughly 50% more than PP GTL if I remember correctly...not sure if the OW-40 would be similar.

That Amsoil oil has about 3600 ppm of calcium. M1 0w-40 has around 3,000 ppm.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That Amsoil oil has about 3600 ppm of calcium. M1 0w-40 has around 3,000 ppm.

Good info, thank you.
According to the PQIA in 2013, M1 5W-30 was pretty low at 1161 ppm of calcium...QSUD was 2411, Amsoil OE was 2190. Seems like M1 was using other detergent additives in higher quantities than competing oils (I think). Not sure how good this info is over 2 years down the road...

He he! Looking for short descriptive titles doesn't always work too well. I did get the answers though!

From what I see, any of today's oils will clean up a dirty engine. Some faster than others but do you really want to clean it quickly? Varnish and sludge build up that is stuck to the walls isn't doing any harm. IMO regular oil changes is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back