Shotgun slug and buckshot question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of getting a 12 Ga. with a rifled barrel. Can I shoot any type of slugs out of it?

Can I shoot buckshot out of it that would still have the same effectiveness as out of a smooth barrel?

Thanks a lot!

No.

Rifled barrels are for sabot slugs ONLY. The slugs are covered by a plastic jacket that engages the rifling to create spin. Using rifled (or foster-style) slugs in a rifled barrel will cause them to tumble. Using buckshot in a rifled barrel will foul the rifling.

Rifled barrel - sabot slugs only
Smoothbore barrel - everything except for sabot slugs

Originally Posted By: callbay
I am thinking of getting a 12 Ga. with a rifled barrel. Can I shoot any type of slugs out of it?

what are you really trying to do. You really can't turn a shotgun into a rifle as a PRACTICAL matter

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: callbay

what are you really trying to do. You really can't turn a shotgun into a rifle as a PRACTICAL matter

Rifled shotgun barrels are popular in some areas where rifle hunting is not allowed (mostly due to population density). The combination of a rifled shotgun barrel and sabot slugs does provide some better accuracy over a smoothbore barrel and rifled slugs.

From my research, with a little effort you can probably get reasonable accuracy out of a smoothbore out to 80-100 yrds with the right slugs. A rifled barrel and sabots are good for about 200 with the right sabots for your gun.
I just got a H&R ultra slug hunter single shot, which is probably the best in accuracy/range per dollar. A little cumbersome for a follow up shot though!
I read that a rifled barrel will make a nice donut pattern shooting shot, but only at a short range.

I have two missions in mind for a couple of new shotguns. One is to carry in the back of a side by side Polaris Ranger we have, for use as protection and we have wild hogs in the area also.

The other is for a "trunk gun" in a vehicle for protection.

Shotguns are such a good buy. I like Mossberg Mavericks because they are well made and very inexpensive, like $190 at the local Academy Sports store. I don't have to be as careful with them in the back of a vehicle as I would with an expensive gun.

I would not mind having a couple of AR's but at $500 each or so for the less costly ones, that would be more than I want to spend.

Unless you live in an area where rifle hunting is outlawed, there isn't much use for rifled shotgun barrels.

Since protection is your only use, a smooth ore barrel is appropriate. Regular rifled slugs and buckshot will do just fine.

Just load good 000 buckshot and forget the slugs. Each buckshot pellet is about 30 caliber. Should take down anything you run across out there.

I bought a smooth-bore slug barrel for my Remington 870 pump and a magazine tube extension. The short non choked barrel is good for protection from hogs or zombies with any mix of slugs/BuckShot.

Last edited:
Based on your purposes, a 18 to 22 inch smooth barrel shotgun would be what you are looking for.

Instead of going with the Maverick 88 new, check out your guns stores and pawn shops for used Remington 870's and Mossberg 500/590 shotguns. A gently used older premium shotgun is better than a new budget shotgun.

You can get a really budget AR for barely more than $400 these days, if you want to go that route.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Unless you live in an area where rifle hunting is outlawed, there isn't much use for rifled shotgun barrels.

Since protection is your only use, a smooth ore barrel is appropriate. Regular rifled slugs and buckshot will do just fine.

Yea..I did forget about areas that don't allow rifles. That's the only use I see.

I have a Hastings rifled barrel for my Remington 870. But get this, it has STRAIGHT rifling. It is meant for Trap shooting. The concept behind it is to prevent the wad from spinning, thereby allowing a cleaner separation of the wad from the shot column.

Does it do what it's supposed to? From what I can tell, yes. It delivers nice concentrated patterns at 35 yards on paper. But as an added plus, I found it shoots Foster type slugs very accurately as well. I doubt these barrels are available any more. But it does work well. Mine is a 30" ventilated rib model with 2 beads and adjustable chokes.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I have a Hastings rifled barrel for my Remington 870. But get this, it has STRAIGHT rifling. It is meant for Trap shooting. The concept behind it is to prevent the wad from spinning, thereby allowing a cleaner separation of the wad from the shot column.

Does it do what it's supposed to? From what I can tell, yes. It delivers nice concentrated patterns at 35 yards on paper. But as an added plus, I found it shoots Foster type slugs very accurately as well. I doubt these barrels are available any more. But it does work well. Mine is a 30" ventilated rib model with 2 beads and adjustable chokes.

They still make that barrel for the 870, and for other guns too. They are wad lock barrels.

Last edited:
No. The slug "rifling" is not to make the slug spin, but to squeeze through a choke.
A rifled shotgun barrel will spray pellets, the opposite of the choke affect.

Foster slugs are safe through full choke unless the ammo says it's not. Full choke might not be the most accurate or it could be, best to test the slugs through different chokes restrictions and see whats best.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
If i wanted to shoot foster slugs in my mossburg 500, would i need to remove the full choke tube?

I prefer anything less than full for slugs, although I haven't seen a problem.

I have seen someone shooting a slug through an extra full turkey choke. The results were exciting. Because of that I prefer a margin of safety and usually suggest less restrictive than full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back