Quick lube shop left the old filter on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently went to a Plaza tire service store in my area and had an OC, tire rotation, fluid top off, and a couple new wiper blades, (this was their special at the moment).
when I was changing the coolant in my fiance's car a couple days ago, they left the same filter I put on the previous OC for about 6k, add another 1.5k onto that.
mad.gif
/ what really makes me mad about it was that it was out of pure laziness that they didn't want to take off a splash guard.
since I paid for the filter according to the receit, should I go in and ask for one and do the oil drop and refill myself with the new filter?

Are you surprised?

Yesterday, on one of the lifeinvader groups I follow, someone bought a MINT 1990? cherokee. Brought it to a quick lube to get some oil changed on it before getting it inspected. They drove it into the pit.

I actually am with this shop, My buddy is the manager, and they've always done a very good job otherwise and have given me great VIP price breaks. for instance I had a simular deal with my car about a month ago,
5.5qts new oil, tire rotation and balance, top off fluids, check alignment, and they plugged up a slow leak on one of my tires... all for $30!!
I know they actually did what they charged me for that time because I watched them.

Is it possible that you could swap the filters without draining the oil?
The filter in my car is right on top of the engine and I suspect that I could take it off with the oil in and the engine not running without too much mess...could be totally wrong on that, haven't tried it as I just change it after draining the old oil and before refilling.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The filter in my car is right on top of the engine and I suspect that I could take it off with the oil in and the engine not running without too much mess...could be totally wrong on that, haven't tried it as I just change it after draining the old oil and before refilling.
It makes you wonder.

I'll be the first to find out, Ill give her a shot this saturday, Ill just have to fill the filter with some new oil prior to installation.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
It makes you wonder.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
05 hyundai tucson 2.0L

If it's the same filter location like on this 2.0 Elantra, then it'll likely be a fairly messy job...

I do every time, it was "clean", I put it that way because it's like they didn't let it fully drain and left .5 qt of the old oil to mix with the new oil/ (again out of laziness)
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They probably didn't change the oil either unless you checked afterwards and it was clean.

I left the filter on a 2001 honda crv for a good 20k oci because its is a huge pain in the [censored] to reach. no issues. it was totaled from a drunk driver rear ending it.

They probably don't care what you do. They'll ask for proof. They'll claim that you could have swapped filters after you left. You got what you paid for, a slip-shod cheap job. Just imagine what they supplied in the way of oil if they even changed that, too.

This kind of stunt pulled by the quick change place makes the independent neighborhood mechanic with a track record look pretty good even if he changes a bit more.

can't say I fully agree, but for the schedule I have it was too convenient at the time. and cheap.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
100% your fault for not DIY oil change.

Now I'm not saying it's a bad shop... just a bad apple in the shop, they're is at least one or two in most places.. they did change the oil though and used VWB 5w-20, and rotate the tires.

as far as proof I'd just talk to my buddy that's the manager and explain the issue, tell him he needs to check on his boys in the shop which he'd more than likely grill them over. they've messed up a couple times before and I've gone in and calmly explained the issue, they were more than happy to fix the issues free of charge.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
They probably don't care what you do. They'll ask for proof. They'll claim that you could have swapped filters after you left. You got what you paid for, a slip-shod cheap job. Just imagine what they supplied in the way of oil if they even changed that, too.

This kind of stunt pulled by the quick change place makes the independent neighborhood mechanic with a track record look pretty good even if he changes a bit more.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jake54
05 hyundai tucson 2.0L

If it's the same filter location like on this 2.0 Elantra, then it'll likely be a fairly messy job...

So it's messy? Please. He paid for an oil and filter change and that is no excuse.

Last edited:
what was the brand?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I left the filter on a 2001 honda crv for a good 20k oci because its is a huge pain in the [censored] to reach. no issues. it was totaled from a drunk driver rear ending it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back