New Mobil 1 Low Ash Oil??? 0w30 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shopping on the internet for some oil for my wife's new little MB Diesel......and I ran across Mobil 1 0w30 ESP. Matter of fact, IDparts.com lists this 0w30 as "the" oil for the 2.1 L MB Diesel.

My immediate thought was....cool, this will be a better oil for the cold Colorado winters in my Ram EcoDiesel. Three times this past winter, we had temps below -20.

Wonder what anyone knows about this oil and if it would be a good solution for any of the modern diesels?

That whole "low ash" designation is a funny one. For comparison, the regular M1 0w-30 AFE has sulfated ash level of 0.9%, so not much different from this ESP version.

Where they do differ is HT/HS viscosity. This ESP oil has much higher HT/HS viscosity to meet the respective ACEA specs.

Quote:
if it would be a good solution for any of the modern diesels?

It should be.

VOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3767047/VOA:__Mobil-1_ESP_X1_0W-30#Post3767047

This one will have lower SA and lower phosphorous than the Delvac Elite 222. Viscosity will be similar. The Delvac Elite 222 is still a CJ-4 lube, with no ACEA specs claimed.

This oil $13.66 a liter whether its from the Retail stores or the Distributor in my area its not worth it.
That is singles or by the case.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
This oil $13.66 a liter whether its from the Retail stores or the Distributor in my area its not worth it.
That is singles or by the case.

I understand you boys up north have to drop some serious coil for oil....I understand.

This oil is on sale on Amazon in 6 quart cases for $50, shipping free.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If it's not something you "need"

Define 'need'.

The OP has a brand new MB still under warranty. IMO, an oil that officially carries the appropriate MB spec is something that he does 'need'.
smile.gif

I would stick with the recommended 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP simply because it has a sulfated ash value of 0.6% (vs. 0.8% in the 0w-30 ESP). This would theoretically allow for a longer catalyst life.

Yeah, we have the new ML250, 4 cylinder turbo diesel and I have a year old Ram EcoDiesel. Yes, both are under warranty and we will stay with specs....

I did order the 0w30 off of Amazon....three cases for both vehicles. I will have to change the oil in the truck in about a month, but hope to make it to Thanksgiving for the Benz.

By the way....this ML with the little diesel is just awesome. We love the car and it is plenty zippy!!! Not to mention several fills where we got over 32mpg with AWD.

Originally Posted By: islip
I would stick with the recommended 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP simply because it has a sulfated ash value of 0.6% (vs. 0.8% in the 0w-30 ESP). This would theoretically allow for a longer catalyst life.

The new Mobil 1 0W30 ESP oil is fully approved by Benz to MB 229.51 and 229.52 standards, so it IS a recommended oil and obviously Benz does not believe the 0.2% difference in SA is anything to be concerned about.

Mobil 1 0-30 esp may be fine for the Benz but it does not meet the required spec for the Ram ecodiesel. ie HTHS 3.5 minimum as required by Chrysler ms-11106. The 0w-30 Mobil 1 esp HTHS value is only 2.9.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Here and here are the Canadian sheets from Imperial Oil, for good measure.

Luckily the data matches between the three, US, UK and Canada.

Originally Posted By: islip
Mobil 1 0-30 esp may be fine for the Benz but it does not meet the required spec for the Ram ecodiesel. ie HTHS 3.5 minimum as required by Chrysler ms-11106. The 0w-30 Mobil 1 esp HTHS value is only 2.9.

You are incorrect about the HTHS of the M1 ESP X1 0W30. In order to meet the Benz 229.51 and 229.52 specifications, the HTHS of the oil must be greater than or equal to 3.5 cP.

I think you may be thinking of the AFE flavour of M1 0W30, which has an HTHS of likely around 3.0 cP I think (off the top of my head).

As for meeting the specifications for the RAM EcoDiesel, the 0W30 ESP may not formally meet the requirements, but if I had to guess, it would likely be just fine. That would be up to the OP as to whether or not he feels comfortable using it in his VM Motori (Italian manufacturer of the EcoDiesel engine) application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back