Shell oils with PurePlus technology: any feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: kschachn
All of which gets you what?

That warm fuzzy feeling in your belly, of course.
smile.gif

Most important part of the french anatomy LOL

Eat to live or live to eat?

Originally Posted By: zveroboy
And that's fine for my mid-OCI's (~8000 km)

I hope I'll be back with a little review after the OCI's end.

I think you can easily go 12000km on Shell Helix Ultra. SHU has a TBN of 10.4. I am using it now in my car for 7000km and I plan to go at least 13000km and get a UOA.
I ran amsoil AMO 10W-40 last year, it had a start TBN of 12, and at 15000km it dropped to 4.7. I believe the SHU could go to 15000km in my engine and the TBN may be just below 2 at that mileage.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Could you define "fully synthetic" for us please?

The same meaning as in the US and most countries around the world.
Im just going by the bottle claims, the Shell Helix Ultra is sold as a full synthetic oil just like the Castrol oil that i was talking about. All i said is that i trust Shell more than Castrol. Im not a fanboy and i can't really say exactly why i prefer Shell.
It could be due to it being a more renowned brand here where i live?

By the way, is anyone aware if GTL is used only in Ultra line of Shell's oils which carry "PurePlus" logo?

Or Shell decided to use GTL for all base oils even the less superior oils like Shell Helix HX7 5W-40 which does not carry "PurePlus" but only carries "Active Cleansing Technology".

I could not find this in any of the Shell public docs. The only mention I found is that GTL made production of base oils cheaper, so they might be using it since 2014 in all their oils but only advertise it in Ultra line since this is their top oil.

Update: I have sent a question to Shell Netherlands with this question. Let's see what they will reply (if they will reply ...)

Well, my 5w40 SHU has 8000km and still running smooth.
Beats every other oil I ever used, so far.

Looks like this GTL base is underrated.

I found the TDS and the MSDS of SHU ECT 0w30 C2-C3.
So this oil has a PP of -51deg.C, FP at 226deg.C and a VI=204
The safety sheet states some 50-70% gtl base, I see no POA or ester.

I'm impressed. So the GTL base could replace the POA/ester?

Mine is getting changed in the next few days (BMW 530i).
Been running it for almost a year with over 600 hours and 9.6K KM, ill probably run it to 10K KM and change it.

Running smooth and no issues so far. Really loving the oil for the price and quality. (Subjective quality) Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

Last edited:
This oil is now for 8500 km and 10 months in wife's Sporting. Consumption is less than a litre up to now. Still smooth, and oil is only light brownish.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Since you started to talk about the fact that ExxonMobil is trying to use PAO base oils to it's maximum, let's not forget that Shell patented GTL technology, so if ExxonMobil uses it, it has to pay to Shell for every liter of oil produced using GTL.

I thought chevron patented it?

I'm also very interested in the new Shell GTL oils. The Shell Helix Ultra is the cheapest MB229.5 oil avaliable in Australia. From a consumer point of view, that's good to know. I'm not reading too much into it, as there is a lot of business decisions between cost of production and shelf price.

The products made with GTL (Pure Plus) base stock seem to have some amazing low noack volatility numbers. Eg Pennzoil Platinum / Ultra which is often discussed on BITOG. This makes me think that GTL oil is not exactly the same as regular group 3 oil. No process is 100% perfect, but with a GTL oil I would guess the left over would be unconverted methane gas which doesn't go in the final product. But with regular group 3 oil, the left over would be small amounts of unprocessed original Dino oil still left in the final product. In other words GTL adds good stuff to a empty bottle, while regular group 3 removes (or changes) bad stuff that is already in the full bottle. The chemistry may be similar, but the direction is completely different.

Also check out this recent thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3865126/1

The PYB conventional oil has a noack of 4.4% while everything else is above 10%. This led to speculation that excess GTL base stock was being used in the PYB oil. It makes me think about the Shell Helix HX7 semi-synthetic. It doesn't have the GTL code words on the bottle (Pure Plus Technology) but it may have alot of GTL oil in the bottle. Again pure speculation. I think noack % is the big give away here, if anybody can find up to date figures for HX7. Anything under 10% would catch my eye, if it's 8% or less then I'm buying it.

Looking at the old Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40, it has a listed NOACK of 6.8%, which is outstanding. There's no listing I've found on the "new" Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 for NOACK. Nut comparing the spec sheets available from Pennzoil, they look identical. I've heard that Pennzoil started using GTL base stock for their oils as far back as 2010, but wasn't bottled or marketed as "GTL Pure Plus". I'm assuming the NOACK for the new Euro 5w40 can't be much more than the 6.8% of the old formula.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I'm assuming the NOACK for the new Euro 5w40 can't be much more than the 6.8% of the old formula.

The only thing we know for sure is that it can't be higher than 10%.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I'm assuming the NOACK for the new Euro 5w40 can't be much more than the 6.8% of the old formula.

The only thing we know for sure is that it can't be higher than 10%.

True....so it's definitely below 10%

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
erhm.... there are oils on the approved MB list with noack above 10%... hint: fuchs

Nobody gives a "Fuchs".....sorry I couldn't resist....HaHa

just saying you can't be sure of the implied specifications through the appearance on an approved oil list, or even worse a "suitable for" claim.

that same fuchs oil didn't meet the minimum HTHSv spec either.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
erhm.... there are oils on the approved MB list with noack above 10%... hint: fuchs

Which specific Fuchs oil are you referring to?

Which MB specification does it claim it meets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back